Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm heading in to work this morning and running late for a meeting. Like usual I'm cutting lanes here and there when I can, and hoping back in to the lane when it gets clogged up. For some reason there was a BOAT LOAD of traffic this morning on the FDR (nyc). I finally got a good opening and I was rolling at a decent speed (20-25) between the lanes and see a bunch of cops in one of those big a$$ police vans, so I pull back in to the lane to the left of him.

Now I'm getting agitated as all hell because traffic was at a dead stop and budging every couple minutes. Every 15 or so seconds I was looking down at the time on my bike contemplating if I should just pull over to call in to my meeting...but there unfortunately were no exits. All of a sudden a dude on a ninja whips right between me and the cop. Dude cut the lanes and didn't even hesitate on the throttle.

So now I'm watching the dude ride off in to the sunset and looking back and forth at the cop thinking......wtf.....is he gonna flash this dude and leave me to cut these lanes....or is he gonna just f-cking sit here and hold me up?!?!?!

So now I'm annoyed....pull up next to the cops door and started chatting.

Me - So ummmm.....can I go???
Cop (there were about 5 other cops in the van laughing right now) - you wanna split the lanes?
Me - It's not that I want to....I'm so late for a meeting and I'll be screwed if I don't make this.
Cop - What do you do?
Me - I'm ___ of ____.
Cop - Bull sh!t.
Me - Look, please can I go...?
Cop - How about this, traffic breaks up a little ways up. If you split now and I don't catch up to you after that traffic lets up I'll turn the other cheek.
Me - Are you serious???
Cop - (Nods his head)

VROOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!

I split that f-cker so quick, and kept looking in my mirror to see if he was gonna put on his lights but he didn't. As soon as that traffic let up, I let that baby rip!!!! Hoped off the next exit and slid in to my meeting 10 minutes late!!!

I think the cop was just messing with me and honestly, I don't think he even gave a damn. Just my gut feeling, but I did want to check before I just pulled off literally right in front of the dude.

Oh well....thought I'd share the interesting start to my morning!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is lane splitting not legal?

In the UK it would be pointless owning a motorbike for commuting if we couldn't filter...

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

In the UK it would be pointless owning a motorbike for commuting if we couldn't filter...
Not here in NYC...it's a pretty steep ticket! On hot days if you get stuck behind a cop you're gonna fry in the heat.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
___ of ____ has me super curious now. PM me if you can... i'm dying now - curiousity killed the cat. haha. i know, but i GOTTA know now.

oh, and pretty cool of the cop to say "screw it - i know i can't catch ya anyways."

·
RIP Super Sic
3,209 Posts

I went to Germany and France and man everybody on a motorcycle splits lanes. Europe is riders heaven for sure. Alot of street fighters and scooters
:secret

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Haha, that was cool...

Ive run into a few cool cops here...few and far between though...

Also curious bout your profession...(like agg...can you pm me if you dont mind?)

Ill tell you what I do, if you tell me...:lmao
My profession is pretty unique (and no, Im not a male prostitute....sorry to get your hopes up An :lmao)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went to Germany and France and man everybody on a motorcycle splits lanes. Europe is riders heaven for sure. Alot of street fighters and scooters
:secret
Yep, but our weather sucks balls most of the time :D win some you loose some :D

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
___ of ____ has me super curious now. PM me if you can... i'm dying now - curiousity killed the cat. haha. i know, but i GOTTA know now.

oh, and pretty cool of the cop to say "screw it - i know i can't catch ya anyways."
+1....lol

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
There are a few cops out here that are pretty cool like that. It's usually the ones that went to CSU themselves so they know what's up.

One time we were out street racing (in the country side) cop pulls up, we sit there and watch everyone scatter like roaches when the lights turn on. And the cop comes to us and says "I don't understand it. Every time I come out here to watch some races, everyone leaves." Then sat there and bs'd with us about our rides then told us have a good night.

Second cool cop, pulled me over for my truck being too low. Then noticed it was bagged and said "Let's see what it's got." So I got to drain the tank for him. Lol.. Then he said, "looks fun, take it easy."

:YEA

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a few cops out here that are pretty cool like that. It's usually the ones that went to CSU themselves so they know what's up.

One time we were out street racing (in the country side) cop pulls up, we sit there and watch everyone scatter like roaches when the lights turn on. And the cop comes to us and says "I don't understand it. Every time I come out here to watch some races, everyone leaves." Then sat there and bs'd with us about our rides then told us have a good night.

Second cool cop, pulled me over for my truck being too low. Then noticed it was bagged and said "Let's see what it's got." So I got to drain the tank for him. Lol.. Then he said, "looks fun, take it easy."

HAHA that's awesome!!!

·
My R6 eats me & I like it
120 Posts
Haha, I was behind a police van one time. They have very dark tinted windows and can't really see inside them. While I was traveling behind this particular van we were stuck in traffic heading up hill into the sun. Only then from the sun shinning in thru their front window thru the back did I see that several individuals were looking out the back window at me and waving (probably didn't think I could see them. cuz normally maybe I couldn't) I just bursted out laughing and started waving back. Not sure if they were other police officers hitching a ride to work (state police barracks were few miles up) or prisoners. Don't care really just thought it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
360 Posts

that happened to me goin to a show in tennessee. cop pulls me over, says its too low, asks me to show off, lay the rockers on the ground, get pictures with him, thinks its cool...

still gives me a ticket. WTF?

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts

haha thats great. I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop on a Harley once, guy was cool. Said lets make sure there are no warrants and we will let you be on your way, just slow it down....I was over tripple digits for the past two miles to catch up to you, never would have if it wasn't for this traffic.
I'm sure they can if they wanted to, I would stop if they flashed me. But then again can they really catch a bike in van?
Can out run the van but not the radio to the unit ahead. :fact

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
can they really catch a bike in a crown vic or an impala either?
Crown vic, impala no. Charger hell yes. We have two rules here in GA. Dont run from State Patrol, or any cop in a charger. The GSP will either pit maneuver you and kill you, or let you wreck, or let you run out of gas, but wont stop chasing you. I hear the chargers can go 190mph...so no out running them either unless you have traffic. Either way I dont run. Not worth it. Atleast unless he's on the side of the road and hasnt gotten on the road lol...no harm in not stopping and getting off at the next exit :lmao

1 - 20 of 47 Posts