Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got my oq R6, it had been sitting awhile so the chain is all rusted and I tried to clean it but its alot of rust, I mean alot. So I have been asking around talking and stuff and now I am really lost. I was told about sprocket and chain conversions. I am talk about the 530, 525 and 520. I have heard multiple ups and downs of all of them. I was told the 520 would be like a dirt bike comparision and that it was more for racing on a track and would wear out quickly. So I dont want that but then I hear that would would help alot. Then my boy owns a shop and he is tellin me that the 530 or maybe the 525 would be fine. I plan on going down 1 tooth in front and maybe up 1 or 2 in the rear. I just dont know what conversion to do PLEASE help. THanks

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
stock is 530. 520 saves alot of weight due ot it being smaller. a 600cc bike doesn' make enough power to damage a 520. alot of R1 guys go 520. you'll be plenty fine with a 520. alot of people on here have them with no probs.

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
ya pens completely right. and actually a 520 chain wont wear out much faster then the other chains as long as its properly maintained. clean it and lube every other week or so will make it last longer then if you dont do anything to it at all. i ordered my 520 stuff a few days ago and cant wait to see what the difference will be. :cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not going that far I plan on doin the 15-50, I have heard that will get the job done. I found a kit on ebay for 150.00, I'm still lookin around to compare on prices,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay......Hmmmmm!!! So Check it!! The 520 will save rotational weight but you run the risk of tearing up the aluminum sprokets faster!! Torque is really what tears these things up!! If you can ride super smooth the may last a while, but the key to figuring out what you need is simple!! What are you going to do with the bike? If you are going to stunt or use the bike on the track consider the 520. With stunting be forewarned you will have to replace the chain and sprokets a lot!! It will save your ass!! The stress on these parts is immense when stunting! On the track you are constantly flowing forward and never wacking the throttle open or poppin the clutch!( at least you shouldn't be) If you are just going to ride on the street I would stay with the 530 and STEEL sprokets(down one on the front if you like so you can get some nasty launces and mean 2nd and 3rd gear monos!!) Trust me Yamaha doesn't spend millions on reaserch for nothing! If a 520 was the best for street it would be on there!! These days even saving a coulple pounds can get cha braggin rights!!

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
pntbutta said:
Okay......Hmmmmm!!! So Check it!! The 520 will save rotational weight but you run the risk of tearing up the aluminum sprokets faster!! Torque is really what tears these things up!! If you can ride super smooth the may last a while, but the key to figuring out what you need is simple!! What are you going to do with the bike? If you are going to stunt or use the bike on the track consider the 520. With stunting be forewarned you will have to replace the chain and sprokets a lot!! It will save your ass!! The stress on these parts is immense when stunting! On the track you are constantly flowing forward and never wacking the throttle open or poppin the clutch!( at least you shouldn't be) If you are just going to ride on the street I would stay with the 530 and STEEL sprokets(down one on the front if you like so you can get some nasty launces and mean 2nd and 3rd gear monos!!) Trust me Yamaha doesn't spend millions on reaserch for nothing! If a 520 was the best for street it would be on there!! These days even saving a coulple pounds can get cha braggin rights!!
actually butta they have come along way with the alumy sprockets. theyve got some good coatings and the millin process from which they make em now has changed some so they are quite a bit stronger now. nothin wrong with steel, they wil last you longer then the alumy, no disagreement there.

also to r6ed, check out whitebuffaloracing.com i got mine there for just under 150.00 shipped. and i added on a few bucks for little extras like the gold chain. but the guy mike(i beleive is his name) will help ya get what ya really need. he has helped both me and redliner6 to get what we need. :cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
loki1313 said:
pntbutta said:
actually butta they have come along way with the alumy sprockets. theyve got some good coatings and the millin process from which they make em now has changed some so they are quite a bit stronger now. nothin wrong with steel, they wil last you longer then the alumy, no disagreement there.

also to r6ed, check out whitebuffaloracing.com i got mine there for just under 150.00 shipped. and i added on a few bucks for little extras like the gold chain. but the guy mike(i beleive is his name) will help ya get what ya really need. he has helped both me and redliner6 to get what we need. :cheers

nice! im lookin to buy a new chain and sprocket set, i'll check that out!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip, I will check thosej guys out. As far as want I want to do with this bike is what most people do, alittle of everything, I'm not a starboy but I do like pullin up the front wheel everyonce in awhile, I love going into corners hard but I dont race and every so often I go and run the 1/4 mile a couple of times, so I guess that average, maybe, I met a guy this weekend when I went to go see the starboyzz and he was ridin a gsxr600 with a 520 and he loved it, and he has like 20,000 miles on the bike and about 8,000 on the 520 stuff, Anyway thanks to all the suggestions, I cant spell....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.