Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start off by saying i searched and couldnt find the clearest anwser to my questions. I want to get a sprocket conversion for my 02 r6 and i was thinking how much stronger the torque will feel, i want alot more down low but is it going to throw the wheel up if i get 3/4 throttle? I was thinkin -1, +2 would be about right so what are your experiences, and what brand is good? All i've really heard is not vortex lol.

Lastly how bad did it hurt top end and gas mileage, more importantly gas mileage?

Thanks for all replies

·
Registered
408 Posts
I want to do this conversion eventually as well, most people on this forum have that set up so I'm sure you will get a lot of good answers. From what I have read just make sure you get a speedohealer at the same time so you don't rack up some false mileage.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Do it!! One of the best mods you can ever do!!!! The bike will only lift up if you REALLY roll on the throttle and lean back. You still have to try to make the bike wheelie. If you went like -1+5 that would be a different story. Gas mileage wasnt really a big loss it only costs about 10 bucks to fill the bike so im not worried about it. Same thing with top end I dont need to go over 130!!!

+1 on the speedo healer

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi guys - I'm new here. I had a question along the same lines. Has anyone ever gone the OTHER direction with their sprockets, aka taller gearing instead of shorter? This is my first bike, and I'm a little concerned about the huge power of the bike. I want something that will temporarily allow me to start off with a little less torque but easily move back to higher performance when I get comfortable with the bike. I know you are thinking that I should get a kawi ninja 250, but i just don't want one. I'm also looking to get engine rpm down when I'm cruising at highway speeds to increase engine life and gas mileage because i will be doing a lot of highway miles.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
-1, +2 is the average recommended gearing for added low-mid torque. Much more than that and you will be all low end, and no top...aka stunt ready. With my -1 +2 I can pull tire just fine, or I can keep it down with lots of power...its the best of both.

XCMAV66.....just don't twist the throttle so far :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks yoda, it does pull the tire up now somewhat with ease?

and xcmav66 you have made one post and you managed to thread jack me on it, try starting your own thread and maybe buying a scooter or something, great gas mileage and no threat at all of being confused with a real boy. . . .

·
Registered
196 Posts
so 3 posts really qualifies you to be a pompous dickhead? i can't speak for everyone here, but i think that most people are looking for helpful advice minus the personal insults. i'm pretty sure the only one who's spent any time jacking your thread on my accord is yourself. i'll end the discussion here and start my own thread if it upsets you that much...if anyone helpful bothers to read this, look for me in another thread. on my scooter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ya most people hate vortex but IMO i really don't mind them. they are fairly cheap. i got my -1 front sprocket, +2 rear sprocket and my 520 rk racing chain for $125 from sumofallparts. I used vortex on my old bike too and only replaced the rear sprocket once after a few teeth wore off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts