Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
129slayer.com
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, My rear sprocket was worn, So I put a new vortex one on.
Tho I went from 50T to 48 in the rear, Now when I pull back on the tire, It wont go any further back. Yet the chain is still sagging way too much, Is there anyway to cut a link? to make it shorter?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
To be honest you should have replaced the chain and the sprockets. To answer the question directly. Yes you can shorten the chain with a new master link. BBBBBUUUUUTTTTT you WILL have a tight spot from the new link. The old links will be stretched or worn a little. So when you put in a new link, it will be shorter or have less wear than the others and this will = a tight spot. The other issue is that the old chain will wear out your new sprocket faster as well. I would just spend the money and get a new chain and front sprocket.

·
129slayer.com
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how do I know what size I should buy. (Ex. 114link)

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I believe anything from 116 to 120 will work. 116 for smaller sprockets and 120 for larger ones. In either case I always go for 120 links chains though. I always end up cutting at least 2-3 links off. There is no real cost difference between the lengths and I would rather have some spare sitting around in case I do a gearing change.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you buy a 114 or 116 and it's too short you are SOL. Unless you want to pay extra to send it back etc. Buy a 120 link and you will have enough. You might save 4-5 dollars by getting the perfect length. Or you could end up costing yourself a lot more. Just get the 120 and forget it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I talked to a guy from Driven and he told me I need a 116 link chain

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
120 link chain is a standard chain. It's more then enough. Then what you do is have the sprockets you want to use installed on the bike. Then place the rear wheel where you want it (most want it all the way forward). then wrap the new chain around and cut it where you need by physically confirming visually. Remember you need chain slack though.

Driven's chain length recommendations are normally dead on, but it's always best to physically confirm imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts