Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so tomorrow I plan on washing my bike for the 2nd time. For obvious reasons, after I wash my bike I'm going to lube the chain up. The first time my cousin helped me lube the chain by spinning the tire for me.

Any tips/products I should use? How do I properly lube the chain by myself?

·
Registered
304 Posts
if you have a rear stand........what i do is start the bike with the rear wheel on the stand and then put it in first and let it turn by itself.......but a friend works to.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Oliver were are you from in Minnesota?

Yeah...i would highly suggest getting a center stand if you want to work on the bike by yourself.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm in bloomington, also by chance did you know the kid that got killed on this Yellow CBR600RR a week ago?(DAN BECKEN)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Whats up boys. hey, let me know of a good time to do some riding. I may journey my way up for a ride sometime.

Let me know. I'm in central Iowa, about 3 hours (in a car) from Minny.

I will be in the Wayzata area next weekend (7th) for a wedding. I may ride up, if i do, i'd like to maybe meet up with anyone for a little ride on sunday.

As long as it's not city or interstate cruising. I love twisties!

If either of you are in the area and would be interested, give me a call sometime this saturday or sunday so i can decide to ride up or not.

515-231-6382

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Also.....I'll keep topic on hand here.

If you're looking for good stands for cheap.

www.handyindustries.com

Company here in marshaltown, IA. They make the big gray bike lifts that all dealers love. They also make some nice little swingarm, fork, and headstock stands.

Swingarm, fork combo for about $115 shipped!

If you have a 03 or 04 R6, make sure to order the universal stands with bobbin supports. the combos they say are for R1's and R6's are for pre '03 models that have offset fork lengths.

:cheers

And as far as lube goes...... I'm a big fan of keeping it clean and no lube. After you wash your bike or get caught in rain, take some WD-40 to the whole thing. Apply lightly and and wipe it down good with a wrag.

I hate lube cause it flings shit all over the place and makes a pain in the ass to clean up. If you get good lube that doesnt fling....it just attracts more dirt that will wear your o-rings faster, which basically defeats the purpose of lube.

Here's what i do.....save a few dollars a month if you have to, spend WAY less time cleaning shit off your bike from flung lube, and just replace your chain and sprockets once a year. $130 a year or, 3 million times cleaning your bike.

If and when i use lube, i use very light amounts of Maximum chain wax, or the clear stuff.

Also.....a tip for washing. If you're not familar with Plexus, or the same product, but much cheaper (Honda Plastic cleaner/polish) use it...and alot. makes bug removal and cleaning much easier.

I give my bike a good wash once a month, other than that, i just use some good cotton towels and lots of Honda cleaner :mrgreen:

·
Registered
304 Posts
i did not know him. but i did hear of someone going down on 494 somewhere near eden prairie was that him?

redline, we might heading out mid day on sun. if worse comes to worse i might just go alone. madchild what are you plans on sunday? me and a couple of others are trying to put together the ride. lets keep in touch. ill be at the apple river tonight and back in the cities by mid day.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you need to lube your chain and you don't have a center stand, and you don't have anyone to help, do this.
Get on the left side of your bike, facing the seat.
With your left hand, grab the passenger peg, and SLOWLY lean the bike toward you on the kickstand. The rear wheel should be off the ground now.

Lean the bike against your body, and with your left hand, spin the back wheel. With your right hand, spray the lube.

I use chain wax because it doesn't fling much at all.
Just me personally, I would not recommend going without lube. If you ride frequently, your chain and sprockets will wear fairly fast. Metal to metal contact is very hard on the chain and sprockets.

I would like to see some research on the no lube vs lube that attracts dirt comparison. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's an interesting theory which I hadn't heard of before.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok so i know alot about cars but am learning on the bikes. do you really need to change your chain and sprocket yearly? and i haven't used wd 40 cause i heard it attracts dirt, but my chain needs some lube. do it anyway?

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Yeti said:
ok so i know alot about cars but am learning on the bikes. do you really need to change your chain and sprocket yearly? and i haven't used wd 40 cause i heard it attracts dirt, but my chain needs some lube. do it anyway?
u dont have to change the sprocket yearly, the chain needs to be changed when it get s stretched out to much. u can use the wd40 to clean it but u need to lube it afterwards. either way u go it will atract dirt, but thats why u clean and lube it every month or so :cheers

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah that was the kid...he was on the frontage road of 494. Where the BMW, FORD, NISSAN dealership is.

Oliver: Sunday as of right now I don't know of much going on. PM me or whatever...but it seems like its calling for rain on sunday

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i never had a problem with chain and sprockets, i lubed every 500 miles with chain wax and my chain and sprockets never gave me a problem on my 03 r6, i put 11k hard ridden miles and my chain and sprockets probally could of endoured another 10k miles before i even thought about changing them. the chain wax never flung off really either, good product.
:cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts