Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to replace the OEM chain & sprockets on my 2005 R6. I got over 33K miles on the stock one and now I have no idea how to go about figuring out what I want to replace it with.

If I remember correctly, stock sprockets are: 16/48 and I looked up the chain and it's a 532/116.

I'm trying to shop around for good prices but I don't really know what I'm truly looking for. I know that 532 has to be special ordered if I want to keep the chain that size.

Does it make much of a difference if I go to a 530? And how many links am I looking for?

I also do not want to change my gearing... I just want to upgrade my chain (possibly to a DID gold) and just replace the OEM sprockets.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
It really doesn't matter if you go with a 520 or 530, either will work as long as you get the sprockets to match. If you want longevity, go with the 530 because it will stretch less and last longer over time. The 116 should be the number of links in the chain. So if you were to get a chain, you would want 120 link chain, and you'll cut 4 links off when you install the chain (most chains come in 10 link increments, 100, 110 or 120 links). Driven and AFAM are good sprocket makers, i would stay away from vortex. Vortex has its niche, and longevity tends to not be it. As far as the chain goes, its up to how much money you wanna spend. Definately get an O-ring at the minimum. If you wanna spend the extra money, get the X ring. Either one will work fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the all info! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts