Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
R6 gets the babes?
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR I tightened my chain. how can I be sure I did it correctly?

I tightened my chain. I was very careful to adjust the bolts on both sides the same amount. I also paid attention to the markers on the swing arm itself. It looks even on both sides. Initial ride seemed fine. The process seems rather unscientific to me.

So, what if it's not adjusted correctly (for whatever reason)? What signs should I look for that something is off?

Thnx
Matt

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
total garbage. And another annoying thing... shops are closing because you e dipshits go on "amazon" and buy mostly ****ing garbage.
I get that its easy to place but jesus... its something that can be done in 5 mins at a repair shop...

also NEVER trust a cast hash mark.

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
167 Posts
if its too loose, you'll hear the chain smacking the underside of the swingarm. If its too tight, you will feel every bump you go over through the rear suspension as the chain will bind and the suspension wont absorb any bumps. just take a ruler and measure the slack. its supposed to be within 30-45mm according to the manual.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
total garbage. And another annoying thing... shops are closing because you e dipshits go on "amazon" and buy mostly ****ing garbage.
I get that its easy to place but jesus... its something that can be done in 5 mins at a repair shop...

also NEVER trust a cast hash mark.
it's not the cast that's the problem as a pattern for castings never change. it's the part that gets weled onto the swingarm is where you might get a difference. but this isn't the 1960's still. robot welds and jigs that hold it are how things are done now. I bet those marks are more accurate than the tools for measuring the chain are.
btw, since when did motion pro become garbage? you go to any dealership level tech school or shop and you will find motion pro tools. K&L tools too. especially for yamaha's. K&L is the official special tool supplier for yamaha motor corp.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Sport Bike Track Gear has the Motion Pro Alignment tools for $13.00. Fork Amazon.
I don't get the whole amazon craze. you do not always or often get the pest prices from them. more than likely you over paid for something on amazon. hell, even best buy often has prices less than amazon. and amazon often sells counterfeit products. it's a rampant problem.

·
PeanutEOD on YouTube
147 Posts
I don't get the whole amazon craze. you do not always or often get the pest prices from them. more than likely you over paid for something on amazon. hell, even best buy often has prices less than amazon. and amazon often sells counterfeit products. it's a rampant problem.

I generally avoid amazon. They’ve really gone downhill. Tons of cheap Chinese shirt on there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
it's not the cast that's the problem as a pattern for castings never change. it's the part that gets weled onto the swingarm is where you might get a difference. but this isn't the 1960's still. robot welds and jigs that hold it are how things are done now. I bet those marks are more accurate than the tools for measuring the chain are.
btw, since when did motion pro become garbage? you go to any dealership level tech school or shop and you will find motion pro tools. K&L tools too. especially for yamaha's. K&L is the official special tool supplier for yamaha motor corp.
using a jig attached to a chain for "alignment"...
I dont use the hash marks on ANY bike. I have the requisite tools to perfectly center the swingarm & rear axles. And its a precision machined part with centering cones. The actual measurement is done with a standard tape measure. Unfortunately it doesnt work on solid swingarm/rear axles. For that I just put a wooden dowel across the swingarm & let the wheel spoke center it. Works great. I also have an adjustable slide tool that does a good job of getting centerline distances on either side of the bike. Also the centering legs are 13" long so it clears exhaust systems.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Over 1.5 decades of online purchasing has provided me with a solid sense of what you can/can't buy online. So with only a couple of exceptions, I've had pretty good luck with 'zon. Certain electronics, mechanical parts, and all larger batteries are high risk purchases. (meaning, don't bother regardless of price/seller) FleaBay started it all. Many of the same sellers from FleaBay duplicated shop on 'zon. Almost invariably FleaBay sellers are looking to pawn off used/returned/factory-reject/new junk as "tested" and "genuine" or/and with "lifetime" warranties. Both FleaBay and 'zon play games with feedback, so I learned via experiences not to leave any. The advantage that 'zon seems to have, the sellers are far less likely to get away with playing games with the RMA and warranty processes. Trying to get FleaBay sellers to pay for return shipping and not take three to six weeks to send a warrantied item back, gradually became the rule rather than the exception. Return rates gradually increased to the point of nearly 90%. I eventually labeled myself "an unpaid product tester" and quit FleaBay.

·
LHRB
22 Posts
This tool is great and it will demonstrate to you how off the swing arm marks can be.

Also, the wheel alignment can shift and the chain tension can change when you torque down the axle, so it does often require a bit of trial and error and several attempts to get the chain the right tension, the wheel aligned and to stay there after axle torquing.

One of the great joys of single sided swingarms is the speed with which a wheel change can be done. No issues with tire alignment.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
This tool is great and it will demonstrate to you how off the swing arm marks can be.

Also, the wheel alignment can shift and the chain tension can change when you torque down the axle, so it does often require a bit of trial and error and several attempts to get the chain the right tension, the wheel aligned and to stay there after axle torquing.

One of the great joys of single sided swingarms is the speed with which a wheel change can be done. No issues with tire alignment.
yeah but you have to buy a $90 socket lol

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Over 1.5 decades of online purchasing has provided me with a solid sense of what you can/can't buy online. So with only a couple of exceptions, I've had pretty good luck with 'zon. Certain electronics, mechanical parts, and all larger batteries are high risk purchases. (meaning, don't bother regardless of price/seller) FleaBay started it all. Many of the same sellers from FleaBay duplicated shop on 'zon. Almost invariably FleaBay sellers are looking to pawn off used/returned/factory-reject/new junk as "tested" and "genuine" or/and with "lifetime" warranties. Both FleaBay and 'zon play games with feedback, so I learned via experiences not to leave any. The advantage that 'zon seems to have, the sellers are far less likely to get away with playing games with the RMA and warranty processes. Trying to get FleaBay sellers to pay for return shipping and not take three to six weeks to send a warrantied item back, gradually became the rule rather than the exception. Return rates gradually increased to the point of nearly 90%. I eventually labeled myself "an unpaid product tester" and quit FleaBay.
I quit buying and never recommend rockauto to anyone ever again. many guys on the s/10 forum quit buying parts on rockauto because they have no customer service period. I've got the wrong shit sent to me packaged in the correct box. that's just scam shit right there. and rockauto couldn't care less.

but don't give up on ebay or amazon. you can buy directly from the manufactures through them. I buy all my special shop tools from them on those sites. often they'll sell the stuff cheaper than their own website does. if you need specialized tools motion pro is the tools to get. if you need special yamaha tools K&L is the only option. don't ask a motorcycle shop to loan you one. guys came in trying this all the time.

·
The bike never gets old
6 Posts
using a jig attached to a chain for "alignment"...
I dont use the hash marks on ANY bike. I have the requisite tools to perfectly center the swingarm & rear axles. And its a precision machined part with centering cones. The actual measurement is done with a standard tape measure. Unfortunately it doesnt work on solid swingarm/rear axles. For that I just put a wooden dowel across the swingarm & let the wheel spoke center it. Works great. I also have an adjustable slide tool that does a good job of getting centerline distances on either side of the bike. Also the centering legs are 13" long so it clears exhaust systems.
So, what are the requisite tools to perfectly center the swingarm & rear axles that you recommend?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts