Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using WD-40 and a grunge brush to clean my chain about every 1500-2000 miles.

I then use Chain wax about every 300 miles or every two tank fulls of gas.

What are you guys doing?

·
Registered
293 Posts
yea WD40 for cleaning and i was using this spray on lube that looks like butter but i didnt really like it. now i just drip gear oil all over it, the only problem with that is it gets slung around when you ride at first. it does keep it good and lubed though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Clean your chain with kerosene, then dry it all off. Use PJ1 clear chain lube, it won't fly off, and if for some reason it does, it's clear...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, I also use PJ1 chain lube - in the aerosol can. I'm not sure about WD-40. I know that's the first thing most people think of and use but I'm not sure if its good for the o-rings. The manual says to use a "special o-ring lubricant" since other lubricants can damage the o-rings.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
:twisted:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
use lube (spray kind). when i bought my new chain it came waxed and the shit spun off all over the goddamn place

Lube after a ride when the chain is warm and then let it sit over night. You should have little if any spin-off

·
Registered
886 Posts
i use spray and works pretty good dont like the wax so much and spray is easy ass hell i think to clean off your rims especially chrome i think ..

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,784 Posts
what is this PJ1 clear chain lube?

I recently bought a chain lube myself from a local Cycle Gear (they were having 25% on all chemicals, oils claeners). I snatched one of these Motul brand chain lube. I am not sure if they are any good? It is also in an (13.5 oz) aerosol can for $4.99

·
Registered
327 Posts
Motul makes AWESOME oil, so if their chain lube is half as good as that, then you are golden!
PJ1 makes a Blue Label clear (no color) chain lube. That's what that is. They have it at Cycle Gear, or they should...that's where I get mine.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,784 Posts
miraclegrau said:
Motul makes AWESOME oil, so if their chain lube is half as good as that, then you are golden!
PJ1 makes a Blue Label clear (no color) chain lube. That's what that is. They have it at Cycle Gear, or they should...that's where I get mine.
Cool! That's a comfort! I just checked the can and it is also the colorless type for O,X,Z rings!

How aer the PJ1's? are they good? and how much those cost ar CG?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think the PJ1 is $8 for the tall can (not sure how many oz's). I'm not sure which is better, I've just always used it, so I never thought of using anything else, I'm going to try the Motul now though, and see which I like better.
I highly suggest using Motul 5100 motor oil though! I think it is the best!!!

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,784 Posts
miraclegrau said:
I think the PJ1 is $8 for the tall can (not sure how many oz's). I'm not sure which is better, I've just always used it, so I never thought of using anything else, I'm going to try the Motul now though, and see which I like better.
I highly suggest using Motul 5100 motor oil though! I think it is the best!!!
Wow $8.00,for the PJ1, that is about the same regular price on the Motul brand. But since it was on sale, I got it for $4.99. I either had to go with the Motorex or the Motul, and chose Motul since I used their oil for my 4000 oil change. And what a difference! Yup I used the Technosynthese Esther 5100. On my 8000 change, I will go full synthetic, recommend anything from the 300V line?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use orange clean to clean the chain and use motul chain wax. It still slings some stuff off, but it's not as mesy to clean off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think I am going to stay with the 5100. Everything I've read about the 300V says "Race", and "Race oil" a lot. Even though you can get it in a heavier weight, most race oils don't have much...long term protection. You aren't going to put 4,000 miles on a race bike in between oil changes.

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,784 Posts
miraclegrau" said:
I think I am going to stay with the 5100. Everything I've read about the 300V says "Race", and "Race oil" a lot. Even though you can get it in a heavier weight, most race oils don't have much...long term protection. You aren't going to put 4,000 miles on a race bike in between oil changes.
Good point there Char. What other lines does Motul have for 100% synthetic? I believe the 5100 is a blend? So using the 300V, you would be changing the oil in shorter intervals?

If I remember correctly, I actually used your suggestion of using the Motul 5100 for my 4000 change a few months back! :cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts