Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
They call me... Zebra!
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have always used chain lube for chain maintenance and I am looking to switch over to wax. I am wondering which brand you fellas and ladies use because I am tired of all the mess I get with lube :thumbdown

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use PJ1 Blue Label. You can pick it up at most autoparts stores. Clean your chain off well with an old toothbrush and kerosene. ONLY use kerosene. NEVER use wd-40 or any kind of penetrating lubricant. Wipe off all kerosene residue and go for a quick 10 min ride to warm the chain up. After you get back spray on the PJ1 (or whatever type of chain wax you get), making sure you cover everything on the inside of the chain. Wipe off the excess with a rag, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, and your good to go. No more oil spray all over your bike! Hope that helps, good luck man.

·
They call me... Zebra!
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use PJ1 Blue Label. You can pick it up at most autoparts stores. Clean your chain off well with an old toothbrush and kerosene. ONLY use kerosene. NEVER use wd-40 or any kind of penetrating lubricant. Wipe off all kerosene residue and go for a quick 10 min ride to warm the chain up. After you get back spray on the PJ1 (or whatever type of chain wax you get), making sure you cover everything on the inside of the chain. Wipe off the excess with a rag, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, and your good to go. No more oil spray all over your bike! Hope that helps, good luck man.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I have always done those steps for cleaning just have always use messy lube.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
honestly, rather than spending 9 bucks for a little can of chain wax, i do the taboo thing of getting wd40 in the 16oz cans from the auto parts store for 2 bucks. works fine. over 9500 miles on my chain and still looks brand new. needed adjusted one time, and that was it. still plenty of adjustment left in it. i used to use wax, but wanted to experiment with the wd40. when i used the wax, it was the maxima chain wax. hated it. it slung ALL OVER the rim and bike and was a bitch to clean

·
Registered
307 Posts
Whats wrong with WD40?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Nothin......some say it will destroy the o-rings/x-rings in the chain but i have used it for years on all of my chains and never had one problem, the stuff works great.
Stories like this get spread so people will spend the big bucks on the shit that's over expensive. when really a simply 2 dollars is the same thing. really it just makes you think how much stuff do you think you know that's just bullshit?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
wd40 would work but it really attracts dirt and grime very quickly.

I use Amsoil chain lube.
it always seemed to me like the maxima chain wax attracted the most dirt and grime. ive used that, and some other stuff that sprayed on white. it flung all over the tail and on a black bike, it looked like shit. the wd40 has been the least grim collecting for me. but in all fairness, i used the chain lube/wax every 500 miles. i do the wd40 every 250 or so. maybe that could be why it looks like there is less grime

and to the other person, i just look at it this way. if you make a product and sell it to motorcyclists, are you going to say that a product that costs less than half of your product works just as good? i wouldnt either:lmao

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had great luck with Maxima Chain Wax (in the black and gold can)--the regular, not synthetic, version. Some feel it's too sticky and therefore attracts too much grime to stick to the chain, but I haven't had a problem with that.

But hardly any flings off--maybe just a spot or two when the weather is warm and the chain runs hotter.

What seems to affect chain life more is weather: When I lived in the wet Northwest my chains definitely lasted less than here in sunny Southern California. And worn sprockets can put more wear on a chain, so unless you're racing and a few ounces/grams really matter, get harder steel sprockets. I've got 20,000 miles on my current DID chain, and it's got plenty of life left in it. And 36,000 miles so far on my sprockets (Driven Racing brand). For street use the steel is the way to go.

·
They call me... Zebra!
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the input fellas.. I think the wd40 is a good idea but I wanna give chain wax a try. anyways keep up the good feedback on your products:cheers

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Thanks for all of the input fellas.. I think the wd40 is a good idea but I wanna give chain wax a try. anyways keep up the good feedback on your products:cheers
the good thing, if you decide to go to wd40, it works GREAT at removing chain wax from the chain. that is what really made me a fan of it. either way, i dont think you can really go wrong. i think the big thing is how often you take care of it rather than what you use.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Remember that WD-40 is a penetrating oil--and it does that quite well. You don't want it getting under the O- or X-rings and diluting the sealed-in lubricant. If you do use it to clean the chain, apply it to the cleaning cloth, not directly on the chain. And apply it very sparingly.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Remember that WD-40 is a penetrating oil--and it does that quite well. You don't want it getting under the O- or X-rings and diluting the sealed-in lubricant. If you do use it to clean the chain, apply it to the cleaning cloth, not directly on the chain. And apply it very sparingly.
not quite. it penetrates rust because there are open gaps. the sealed chain is exactly that...SEALED. people have cut open their chains before and the white grease was still in there after over 8000 miles of spraying on wd40. ive been spraying it right on the chain, wipe off to clean, then spray on and let sit as chain lube for over 9500 miles. 0 problems. well...except for the time i was so drunk i couldnt figure out why the wd40 wasnt coming out...helps if you have the full can and not the empty one:lmao

·
Registered
231 Posts
not quite. it penetrates rust because there are open gaps. the sealed chain is exactly that...SEALED. people have cut open their chains before and the white grease was still in there after over 8000 miles of spraying on wd40. ive been spraying it right on the chain, wipe off to clean, then spray on and let sit as chain lube for over 9500 miles. 0 problems.
Really? Good to know. They way I understood it, it could even get under the O-and X-rings. If it doesn't, that's great, because it IS a great cleaner, and a clean chain--if nothing else--looks a lot better than a dirty one! Thanks to sealed chains, the main thing is to keep the chain free of rust and the rings pliable.

By the way, folks, WD-40 is great too for cleaning grease and oil from the bike (including chain lube), and won't harm the paint at all. Great for removing that sticky stuff left behind by decals; at home too: Ever try to remove those labels from products? Why they glue them on as if they need to stick permanently I don't know.

If possible, buy a small can or one of the "pen"-style sizes, and keep it in your tank bag. You'll find a use for it on the road, guaranteed: Sticking clutch/brake levers, gas cap lock, whatever. (Besides WD-40, carry one of those Leatherman-type multi-tools, electrical/vinyl tape, and brush-on super glue. At some point they will come in handy.)

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
By the way, folks, WD-40 is great too for cleaning grease and oil from the bike (including chain lube), and won't harm the paint at all. Great for removing that sticky stuff left behind by decals; at home too: Ever try to remove those labels from products? Why they glue them on as if they need to stick permanently I don't know.

If possible, buy a small can or one of the "pen"-style sizes, and keep it in your tank bag. You'll find a use for it on the road, guaranteed: Sticking clutch/brake levers, gas cap lock, whatever. (Besides WD-40, carry one of those Leatherman-type multi-tools, electrical/vinyl tape, and brush-on super glue. At some point they will come in handy.)
quoted for truth

people argue the kerosene vs wd40 forever now. you'll find people who use both w/o issues. It's like arguing the the best way to break in a bike, or the chicken vs egg lol.
also quoted for truth(or what is the best oil)

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
honestly, rather than spending 9 bucks for a little can of chain wax, i do the taboo thing of getting wd40 in the 16oz cans from the auto parts store for 2 bucks. works fine. over 9500 miles on my chain and still looks brand new. needed adjusted one time, and that was it. still plenty of adjustment left in it. i used to use wax, but wanted to experiment with the wd40. when i used the wax, it was the maxima chain wax. hated it. it slung ALL OVER the rim and bike and was a bitch to clean
This^ WD40 user for well over 15years. Everything else attracts dirt/crap and gums up the chain. It cleans and lubes so no need for scrubbing etc.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts