Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I dunno if this is exactly "lube" or not but I have a quick question about cleaning the chain. So far this is what I normally do, whenever I get bored (usually before 500 miles) I got out and wd40 the chain wipe it down good and then chainwax it, but today I tried some brakekleen and holy crap everything just washed off the chain, now it makes a little more mess then the wd40 but the chain looks brand new, so then I put the chain wax on. my question is, is the brake kleen going to screw my chain in any way? mess up the seals or anything, from what I know about brake kleen theres nothing that bad in it.

·
My R6 eats terrorists
221 Posts
Okay so I dunno if this is exactly "lube" or not but I have a quick question about cleaning the chain. So far this is what I normally do, whenever I get bored (usually before 500 miles) I got out and wd40 the chain wipe it down good and then chainwax it, but today I tried some brakekleen and holy crap everything just washed off the chain, now it makes a little more mess then the wd40 but the chain looks brand new, so then I put the chain wax on. my question is, is the brake kleen going to screw my chain in any way? mess up the seals or anything, from what I know about brake kleen theres nothing that bad in it.
The best chain cleaner out there is pure kerosene. Its also the cheapest!!

·
YZF-R6 Fighter Pilot
188 Posts
I use a something made by Maxima racing oils called Clead-Up. It's a degreaser, safe for sprockets and chains, and whatever else you can throw at it. If you ever see it give it a try, it's like magic in a can. I have a hard time finding the stuff so I ordered a couple cans from the dealer because it works so nice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
there are no "seals on a chain, and brake clean will not hurt the chain at all. and yeah, the maxima chain lube is the best by far

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool we sell that stuff at work, I'll have to pick up a can and try it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.