Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't changed my air filter since I bought it a year ago. How important is it to change that thing? And if I do, what's a decent, yet cheap, air filter?

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
I'm fond of the stock air filters. They work just fine.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Save up some bones for a BMC or K&N dude, it'll be worth it in the long run, not to mention an engine that breathes easier..

·
Registered
93 Posts
So how difficult is it to swap out the air filter? Do you really have to dismount the fuel tank? I know the manual says to take it back to the dealer for this. I can't believe I have to pay the dealer to do something as simple as this.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question. I've never done this before & was gonna find out how after I got the filter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure about all but on the '05's you just take off the two bolts at teh fron of the tank and it will pivot up (don't remember off the top of my head if you have to take the seat off, but don't think so).

You can then just prop the tank up with a block of wood or anything. Then there's handful of philliphead screws holding the cover on.

Sounds worse then it is.

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
changng your air filter is maybe a 10 minute job. maybe.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
You have to take off your seat. Two screws in the back under the corners.

Then you have to take off the 2 screws holding the tank shrouds on. The shroud slide twards the front to remove do not pull off you will break the clips holding the front part on.

Then 1 screw at the top of the tank.

After that you can tilt the tank up use something to hold it up.
(I use a 19mm socket and a short extention that I place on the rear shock nut to told the tank in a good position.

Then it's a couple of screws around the air box a fuel line to the secondary injectors and a cable that you dont really have to take off the cover will come off and you can just lay it in the bike.

·
I sold my R6
229 Posts
For the 03-05 and r6s it's just like talber8 said. I didn't take the seat off myself but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

·
Zombies may bite!!!!
1,182 Posts
My bad forget everything I said thought it said 08 not 03.....

<~~~Stupid

·
Registered
2 Posts
do not get the k&n for the 07 r6. just got one and installed it......first off its not a perfect fit for the stock filter holes. second, maybe its just me but i feel like ive lost alot of top end power.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
bmc - my friend just got a bmc. I installed it so I got to test the bike out (completely stock) before and after. I think I'm gonna get rid of my K&N and go for a bmc too. It's a quick change by the way, like everyone said - off with the seat, loosen the back bolt on the tank (so that it can pivot without striping stuff) remove the two bolts at the front of the tank and pivot up - you'll see the airbox, the rest is intuitive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts