Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I must say that I did not think changing the plugs would be so annoying and time consuming. Everything was going along smoothly until the heat shield.

Like WTF is up with that thing? It would not want to come out no matter what, like it was stuck inside.

However it was all worth it in the end. I changed out the plugs that may have never been replaced in 22k miles.

Only thing I am worried about now, is that I think that may be oil around the threads. I am sure bikes have valve cover gaskets like cars right?

Anyone elses plugs look like this?

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol yeah I figured they were. Bike ran fine still, just wanted to change them cuz I am anal about maintenance, and figured the previous owner wasnt.

·
12,482 Posts
My plugs were just replaced by the shop (original plugs 21,000 miles ago) and they didn't look as bad as those. :eek5

Yes, they have a valve cover gasket.

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plugs were just replaced by the shop (original plugs 21,000 miles ago) and they didn't look as bad as those. :eek5

Yes, they have a valve cover gasket.
LOL thats good to know. Glad to see the previous owner took care of the bike. However I know that he at least did timely oil changes. However its a good thing this 05 raven is in my hands cuz now it can get the proper treatment it deserves.

·
Banned
3,295 Posts
Yeah those needed to be replaced like 15K ago... Sorry man I was busy as shit as work or I would have called you, but looks like you got it

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah those needed to be replaced like 15K ago... Sorry man I was busy as shit as work or I would have called you, but looks like you got it
Hey no problem man, I hated bugging you, but figured i could get an answer from you instead of asking on here.

Yeah the job was a B**CH, but at least its done. Well not done, I am waiting to put everything back together cuz I am getting aggs smoke block offs. Figured since I am already this far, might as well get them and install them, they go right by the plugs anyways.

·
Banned
3,295 Posts
Hey no problem man, I hated bugging you, but figured i could get an answer from you instead of asking on here.

Yeah the job was a B**CH, but at least its done. Well not done, I am waiting to put everything back together cuz I am getting aggs smoke block offs. Figured since I am already this far, might as well get them and install them, they go right by the plugs anyways.
Good deal! :toocool:

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too bad I can't start her up right now. I want to see the difference. DAMN WINTER! :cuss

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
LOL thats good to know. Glad to see the previous owner took care of the bike. However I know that he at least did timely oil changes. However its a good thing this 05 raven is in my hands cuz now it can get the proper treatment it deserves.
Oh, you have an 05raven? I never could have guessed :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
That heat shield is flexible, just needs to be man handled lol.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Man 20+ miles on the same plugs is a long time, haha. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about changing them at 8k like the manual says, if your bike was still running great after that many miles on the same ones

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man 20+ miles on the same plugs is a long time, haha. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about changing them at 8k like the manual says, if your bike was still running great after that many miles on the same ones
Naw don't be. I will be changing them out every 8k. I am not sure how many miles these plugs have on them, however I am assuming they may be the originals.

The bike still ran great, sometimes would idle rough, but mostly ran great. Can't wait to ride it. Probably will be a few months. :(

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
Naw don't be. I will be changing them out every 8k. I am not sure how many miles these plugs have on them, however I am assuming they may be the originals.

The bike still ran great, sometimes would idle rough, but mostly ran great. Can't wait to ride it. Probably will be a few months. :(
Chicago weather:thumbdown.

I do wish I could fix my idle from the LOR. But I don't want to sacrifice some sound by getting the silencer for it.

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chicago weather:thumbdown.

I do wish I could fix my idle from the LOR. But I don't want to sacrifice some sound by getting the silencer for it.
Lol yeah sound is a big no no to give up and yes chicago weather sucks. Right now it is sleeting. We are in the low 30's

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Are you running a fuel controller of some sort? Those plugs are def rich, but like Rmerchant said, better to be too rich than too lean...

If you are running fuel controller, you can/should get a tune for it - you can easily lean it out a little more (within a safe limit of course) and she'll run even better...

But if you just slap it back together the way it is without changing the map or anything...just by changing the plugs out, youll definitely feel a difference:fact

Something tells me youre going to be on that shit though...

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you running a fuel controller of some sort? Those plugs are def rich, but like Rmerchant said, better to be too rich than too lean...

If you are running fuel controller, you can/should get a tune for it - you can easily lean it out a little more (within a safe limit of course) and she'll run even better...

But if you just slap it back together the way it is without changing the map or anything...just by changing the plugs out, youll definitely feel a difference:fact

Something tells me youre going to be on that shit though...
No I am not running any kind of fuel controller. I probably will pick up a PC3 when I get a chance. Is there anything that could be leading to the bike running rich?

Hahaha you are prolly right. I will get on it the first chance I get.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts