Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I may have a small head gasket leak (I will find out after leak down test + using a solution to detect combustion gas in my cooling system).
I am considering doing the job myself. I will also do the valve check/adjustment while I'm there.

My question is, do I need to take out the engine to replace the head gasket? Or can I do it in place, if I remove radiator + forks?
Bonus question: is it possible to tell by myself if the cylinders head or engine block needs to be resurfaced?

Thank you folks!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,342 Posts
It would be about 10 times easier to do it out of the frame, but I believe it CAN be done....

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,376 Posts
When I changed my plugs, it was tight. If possible, it would make it at least 3 times easier and faster to remove the engine prior.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It scares me to "drop" the engine! But yeah I hear you, it may be simpler. I know that the valve cover can be removed somewhat easily.

I'll remove everything that needs to be removed first (air box, throttle bodies, radiator, etc.) and then see how I feel about dropping the engine.

Thank you.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,376 Posts
Once the wiring, 2 cables, 3 hoses, and chain are off.. it is 4 bolts to get her free.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,342 Posts
Take pictures of all the electrical connections so you can refer to them when going back together.

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
859 Posts
Just strip down the bike and take the engine out. You'll know with confidence you done it right. not nicking the gasket and all the bolts are correctly torque. Sometime short cutting a job make it take even longer plus that doubt in your mind is a bummer. And once you do this, you'll have that confidence of taking your whole bike apart from A to almost Z. You'll feel like superman. Be a man, Do the right ting.

·
Registered
2009 YZF-R6
16 Posts
I had to replace a blown motor, it forced my hand but the job was way easier than I thought it would be. 3 evenings to get the old one out and 3 more to get the new one in. I used blue painters tape to label EVERYTHING and built a custom stand for the jack. Could probably do it without the stand but it made it pretty easy. I'm a computer guy so with some mechanical ability and the right tools shouldn't be a problem.
20210516_131900_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had to replace a blown motor, it forced my hand but the job was way easier than I thought it would be. 3 evenings to get the old one out and 3 more to get the new one in. I used blue painters tape to label EVERYTHING and built a custom stand for the jack. Could probably do it without the stand but it made it pretty easy. I'm a computer guy so with some mechanical ability and the right tools shouldn't be a problem.
View attachment 377524
Good job.

I also thought about making a stand in case one day I have to repair the engine, well first I will have to get a bike.

Regards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really nice!

So I'm 4 bolts away from removing the engine. But I don't know what to use as a stand.

I have a small "lift" (that you jack with your foot) but it won't work: it's still too big and won't support the engine correctly, as you can see on this picture:

A friend of mine has a smaller lift I'm borrowing tomorrow, hopefully it'll do the job, but I'm not sure yet.

If you have any simple trick to share regarding how to support the engine before removing the bolts, let me know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts