Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the bike new a couple weeks ago, dealership said to change oil at 300 miles. I want to do it myself, what do dealerships put in the bikes, synthetic or conventional? should i change the oil at 300 miles? the oil looks really clean. and should I put synthetic right away? thanks in advance

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Put synthetic in it, looks clean and IS clean are 2 totally different things. I'm not going to recommend an oil as that always turns into an argument on here. But, Amsoil, mobil, motul, silkolene and many others all make good oil. Amsoil does have one of the best filters on the market with the EaO series filters. Puralator, K&N, Wix are all also very good. Change the oil yourself it's easy. Too many dealerships stripping out the drain plug threads on these forums.

With that search is your friend, tons and tons of info on the intraweb and on here.

·
off roadin' GARDEN SLAYA!
904 Posts
I like to change the oil on new bikes at 50 miles or so, you'd be amazed at the shit floating around in there from the factory and what may come off during those first 50 miles. Then when I hit the 600 mile mark I do another.

I also switched to synthetic from the beginning.

·
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
867 Posts
I put yamaha synthetic in mine. The only difference between synthetic and conventional is that the molecues in synthetic are smaller, therefor more of them can fit between two parts like a rod bearing and a crank journal creating better lubricity haha cant ever have too much lube:hump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts