Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off I bought a bike with 05 front end that recently had the forks rebuilt with a 1.0 spring. it came with spare .90 springs. for my weight, i need about a .95 spring rate

question 1. can i put one .90 spring in and leave the other a 1.0 for the proper spring rate??

question 2. can this be done easily by myself without having to replace seals or oil. the forks were done not long ago at all and shouldnt need oil or anything.

Thanks

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
first off I bought a bike with 05 front end that recently had the forks rebuilt with a 1.0 spring. it came with spare .90 springs. for my weight, i need about a .95 spring rate

question 1. can i put one .90 spring in and leave the other a 1.0 for the proper spring rate??

question 2. can this be done easily by myself without having to replace seals or oil. the forks were done not long ago at all and shouldnt need oil or anything.

Thanks
1. Yes, that is how I run most tracks. I'm going to grab a .95 spring one day to give myself more tuning options.

2. Yes, if you have a spring compressor.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm i don't have a spring compressor but ill see if i can work something out. i dont want to bug a shop to just change one fork spring :)

thanks Dan!

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
It comes in handy. I like to be somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range at all times if possible. So it is something several tuners will do to keep adjustability options open. With springs coming in .05 kg/mm increments usually, it gives us the option of as small as a .025 kg/mm.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i took one of my forks apart but couldnt rig anything up for spring compresion :( guess im off to a shop tomorrow.
my adjusters were all the way out and still only provided 24is mm sag so im hoping all works out.

have my first race this weekend and want it dialed in. thanks for your prompt response which will allow me have it set right and ready for racing.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
so i took one of my forks apart but couldnt rig anything up for spring compresion :( guess im off to a shop tomorrow.
my adjusters were all the way out and still only provided 24is mm sag so im hoping all works out.

have my first race this weekend and want it dialed in. thanks for your prompt response which will allow me have it set right and ready for racing.
You'll get a few more mm out of the change. You can also drop the oil level a few mm.

How much do you weigh, and is the bike in street plastics or race bodywork?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll get a few more mm out of the change. You can also drop the oil level a few mm.

How much do you weigh, and is the bike in street plastics or race bodywork?
Im about 180lbs and the bike is 100% track

found this online and may be a last resort if i cant get a shop to help out

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
Im about 180lbs and the bike is 100% track

found this online and may be a last resort if i cant get a shop to help out
Sounds like about a .95 requirement. Don't know if I'd want to try that setup. Gotta be careful of the plastic tubes above the springs.

.95 will get you around 34 ish or so. Drop the oil level 5mm should be about perfect for your weight with that spring rate.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm into it right now and noticed the softer spring is about a half inch shorter then the one that was in it. Is that a problem? Will it still work? Or should I just put it back the way it was?

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
The free length of the springs should be the same. Are you sure the other springs are 2005 R6 springs?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The free length of the springs should be the same. Are you sure the other springs are 2005 R6 springs?
I was in a jam with my forks and bike apart so I called a local guy. Looks like the springs may have been out of the 03-04 r6. I kept the 1.0 springs for now, but shaved the spacers down 8mm to get me closer to proper preload before I buy some ohlins :)

this should get me through the last two races of the year and ill do some shopping over the winter.

do you think this will help or was a good idea?

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
I was in a jam with my forks and bike apart so I called a local guy. Looks like the springs may have been out of the 03-04 r6. I kept the 1.0 springs for now, but shaved the spacers down 8mm to get me closer to proper preload before I buy some ohlins :)

this should get me through the last two races of the year and ill do some shopping over the winter.

do you think this will help or was a good idea?
It will work for now. At least it buys time. Also look into dropping the oil level a bit. It will help mid corner.

What are you thinking about ordering? I converse with different companies all the time and may be able to find you a deal.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will work for now. At least it buys time. Also look into dropping the oil level a bit. It will help mid corner.

What are you thinking about ordering? I converse with different companies all the time and may be able to find you a deal.
Thanks Dan, Ill probably get some ohlins springs and an ohlins rear shock over the off season. ill let ya know when i start looking but im hoping to stay a bit cheaper and get a used shock.

I had my first race and placed 8th of 21 :) front end felt pretty good but the rear chewed up my tire pretty good. had it dialed in really well for the qualifiers with the pirelli suppliers help, but it just faded on me after the 12 lap race.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
Thanks Dan, Ill probably get some ohlins springs and an ohlins rear shock over the off season. ill let ya know when i start looking but im hoping to stay a bit cheaper and get a used shock.

I had my first race and placed 8th of 21 :) front end felt pretty good but the rear chewed up my tire pretty good. had it dialed in really well for the qualifiers with the pirelli suppliers help, but it just faded on me after the 12 lap race.
Sounds good.

Congrats on the results!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry to keep bugging you Dan but hopefully you can help me out a bit cause im just about out of hair to pull trying to figure all this out online.

ive had to make a few very odd changes to the bike that have me questioning the skill and knowledge of the previous owner and im drawn back to the forks.

Question 1. The two different length springs have me wondering if the spacer length was right to begin with.I have found in my manual that the stock spring free length should be 294.3mm and spacer length should be 100mm. should the aftermarket combination equal the stock combination of 394.3mm?

Question 2. I originally was going to wait till winter but could not pass a smoking deal on a ohlins shock ya505. the shock is intended for a 05 r6 but i read it will fit 03-04 with a front end adjustment (raising) is this to do with geometry? not a big deal because i have the 05 front end and the geometry is changed slightly anyway for better turn in(down in the front)

Question 3. the shock came with a 95n/mm spring and i cannot find anywhere if this is appropriate rate for my weight of approx. 180lbs without gear. will it do?

i realize this is a lot and i apologize for that but very much appreciate any response.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
sorry to keep bugging you Dan but hopefully you can help me out a bit cause im just about out of hair to pull trying to figure all this out online.

ive had to make a few very odd changes to the bike that have me questioning the skill and knowledge of the previous owner and im drawn back to the forks.

Question 1. The two different length springs have me wondering if the spacer length was right to begin with.I have found in my manual that the stock spring free length should be 294.3mm and spacer length should be 100mm. should the aftermarket combination equal the stock combination of 394.3mm?

Question 2. I originally was going to wait till winter but could not pass a smoking deal on a ohlins shock ya505. the shock is intended for a 05 r6 but i read it will fit 03-04 with a front end adjustment (raising) is this to do with geometry? not a big deal because i have the 05 front end and the geometry is changed slightly anyway for better turn in(down in the front)

Question 3. the shock came with a 95n/mm spring and i cannot find anywhere if this is appropriate rate for my weight of approx. 180lbs without gear. will it do?

i realize this is a lot and i apologize for that but very much appreciate any response.
Q1: The springs should be preloaded the same. The difference between the set length and free length should be 10mm for both combination's.

Q2: The 05 shock is 5mm longer than the 03-04, so you'll need to make that up partly in the front. However, doing so will slightly increase the trail of the bike.

Q3: If my conversion is correct, your weight calls for something closer to a 85 nm spring.

I'd suggest you put matching length, proper weight springs in the front and get the correct spring for the rear. The way things are stacking up you may experience handling problems.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guess no matter how plug and play, things are never as easy as they seem haha.

I left in the springs that came installed on the bike, but was just worried the previous owner left in the spacers that accompanied the shorter springs he took out. was not sure how to measure and confirm proper lengths. either way they will do for the last race weekend cause during off season they will be fitted with proper ohlins springs.

As for the shock, I was curious if I could install it for my last race weekend but guess Ill wait till next season when things are properly set. Is the extra 5mm that much of a big deal though? people normally buy aftermarket shocks and raise the rear slightly for better corner exit anyway, or does this do more then just raise the rear?

Sorry if I'm being annoying :) not only trying to figure my bike out, but really interested in learning suspension and geometry as well.

Thanks so much!

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
Guess no matter how plug and play, things are never as easy as they seem haha.

I left in the springs that came installed on the bike, but was just worried the previous owner left in the spacers that accompanied the shorter springs he took out. was not sure how to measure and confirm proper lengths. either way they will do for the last race weekend cause during off season they will be fitted with proper ohlins springs.

As for the shock, I was curious if I could install it for my last race weekend but guess Ill wait till next season when things are properly set. Is the extra 5mm that much of a big deal though? people normally buy aftermarket shocks and raise the rear slightly for better corner exit anyway, or does this do more then just raise the rear?

Sorry if I'm being annoying :) not only trying to figure my bike out, but really interested in learning suspension and geometry as well.

Thanks so much!
Considering the spring is a bit stiff for your weight, and the 5mm shaft difference, that bike will stand pretty tall in the rear end and make the front end very steep. Personally I wouldn't do if.

I actually have the Ohlins for a 2003-2004 on my 2005 and I had to shim it to make up for the length. adding 2mm of shim added about 4mm to the rear end (I raised the rear further by running a 190/55 tire). But in your case you'd be raising the rear over 7 mm with no real means of balancing it out in the front.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts