Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed for a new R6 rider!
I have just baught a 1999 R6, and after riding it for the first time at night, realised that some of the bulbs behind the rev coulter are blown so its hard to read at night.
Now I have got my hands on some cool blue LED's with 12v resistors and was wondering how easy it would be to put them in.
So my 2 questions are
How do I get the tacho out? Do I have to remove the fairing?
Has anyone tried to replace the bulbs with LED's? is it possible.

This bike replaces my old VFR400NC30 and what a bike it is!
I must say congrats to all R6 riders for having such a spankingly good bike! :twisted:

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
TammyTheYammy...do you know Hammy? LOL

um, to answer your question, NO, I do not believe you can exchange the bulbs with LEDs, for the simple fact that LEDs are very "directional" lighting, they make a beam of light versus the bulb which floods with light. I would think that you would have a really bright blue dot of light and still not see the rest of the cluster, and that is if you can even get the LEDs installed and in place on the circuit board.

I would just replace the bulbs with BLUE bulbs :)

As for getting to the cluster, I will let someone with that year model answer that...I dunno how you take an '01 apart.

BTW, welcome to the site! Go post up about yourself inthe Newbie Section :)
:wave

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome.

I would think that the tach is set up around the same as the new ones in that you will most likely have to remove at least the front fairing to get to the bolts to disconnect the tach from the fairing stay. You can always investigate by trying some stuff on your bike, like taking off the fairing and what not.

Lates,
Matt

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice- its a shame I cant utilise the LED's I have, but I'll put them somewhere... I'll get the spanners out tonight.
How can I post info about myself in the newbie section- Where IS the newbie section???

·
Registered
356 Posts
simply done:

From the homepage there is a bar about an inch down that lists home, downloads, your account, and forums.

Click on Forums

Scroll down to the section where is says "Newbie"

Click on it and start a new thread.

Hope that helps

Lates,
Matt

·
R6 Killed by Cager
953 Posts
TammyTheYammy said:
congrats to all R6 riders for having such a spankingly good bike! :twisted:
I'll get the spanners out tonight.
I love the British dialect! I love watching Top Gear for the funny British humor and they way they make fun of "the colonies"!

Welcome to the forum, Tammy!

Does anyone else watch Top Gear here?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
RadRacer84 said:
simply done:

From the homepage there is a bar about an inch down that lists home, downloads, your account, and forums.

Click on Forums

Scroll down to the section where is says "Newbie"

Click on it and start a new thread.

Hope that helps

Lates,
Matt
Call me crazy, but if she is already posting in the forum, I am guessing she knows how to get to it! LMAO
:hammer

·
Registered
356 Posts
you would think but she did ask
[/quote]How can I post info about myself in the newbie section- Where IS the newbie section???[/quote]

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
hahaha....can't get away with anything around here huh? haha

it's all in fun tho! :cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the Newbie section shortly after posting the 'where is it; line :stupic - thanks for all your help anyway- AND ITS 'HE not SHE- Tammy is the bike! Bit sad I know but there we go!

I have just heard whe weekend will be a sunny one- I'm off to cruize down Bournemouth Beach and do some SERIOUS Totty Spotting!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know the size and wattage of these bulbs??? I haven't for a manual yet!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
oh shit! HAHA...sorry DUDE!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, got the bulb changed now with a standard one, but the eerie green colour that it lights up is rubbish!
I would really like to get some nice blue shine in there, but after taking the whole fekkin thing apart it seems the green is created by the clear bulb shining through a green filter of sorts actually printed on the dial itself.
Does anyone know if and where I can get a blue backed dial? Do any of the newer bikes have blue illumination? Mine is a 99.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts