Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only ride once or twice a week. Last Sunday i took my bike for a ride (10 mins) to the beach but it failed to start when i was about to go home. so i jumped start it.

I got home turned it off, waited for about 30 mins and tried to start it to test it. It works!

A week later the bike battery is dead. So i bought a battery tender to charge the battery for 2 days. The tender gave my battery 2 days of life before it failed to start the bike again.

I called my mechanic and told him what happened. I told him it could be my charging system thats having a problem(rotor, stator) but he mentioned it could only be the battery and just have to replace it.

I have a feeling that theres nothing wrong with the battery and its probably the rotor/stater/rectifier. I will take my bike to him this Monday but im just curious

Whats the chance of it being just the battery is the problem? since i dont think i have money to get rotor replaced/repair

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
Get a voltage meter. Start the bike. Put it on the positive and negative on the battery. Rev the bike to 5000 rpms and it should read close to 14v. If so get a new battery.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Take the battery in and have it tested...much cheaper than having the whole bike checked out!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I'm betting you simply don't ride enough too keep the battery charged up.
10 min rides every 2 weeks isn't close to being enough.

a battery has a discharge rate when it sits unused. a lead acid battery will be dead in 4 months.
if you let one go below a certain point, there is no return. it just wont ever hold a charge anymore. I bet this is what has happened to yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@hector113 & @thatr6chick thanks for the reply guys. yeah my mech is gonna check my batt tomorrow morning. he's pretty cool i dont think he would charge me for it. I really hope its just the batt

@blue03r6 youre right i probably dont use my bike enough because i still go to school full time and work. i ride it atleast once a week more than a hour but sometimes once every 2 weeks. but thats some good info tho thanks. i really hope its just a battery problem

thanks you guys. ill keep you guys posted im going tomorrow morning and happy thanks giving

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
@hector113 & @thatr6chick thanks for the reply guys. yeah my mech is gonna check my batt tomorrow morning. he's pretty cool i dont think he would charge me for it. I really hope its just the batt

@blue03r6 youre right i probably dont use my bike enough because i still go to school full time and work. i ride it atleast once a week more than a hour but sometimes once every 2 weeks. but thats some good info tho thanks. i really hope its just a battery problem

thanks you guys. ill keep you guys posted im going tomorrow morning and happy thanks giving

When he tells you its the battery order one from here.
I rode my bike like you and the factory on lasted 2 years. I bought this one for half the price and its been good for 3yrs now, I also put it on a battery tender when not in use.
http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/sYTZ10S.html

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
When he tells you its the battery order one from here.
I rode my bike like you and the factory on lasted 2 years. I bought this one for half the price and its been good for 3yrs now, I also put it on a battery tender when not in use.
http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/motorcycle/sYTZ10S.html
that's a agm battery. you don't have to put it on a tender. it can sit over 12 months without needing a charge. it's discharge rate is very very low.
when mine ever dies, I think I'm going with one of those scorpion batteries.
I still have the stock battery in mine with a build date of sept 2002.
but I've never put it on a tender or charger. go figure.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
that's a agm battery. you don't have to put it on a tender. it can sit over 12 months without needing a charge. it's discharge rate is very very low.
when mine ever dies, I think I'm going with one of those scorpion batteries.
I still have the stock battery in mine with a build date of sept 2002.
but I've never put it on a tender or charger. go figure.
I just replaced my original 2003 battery (with 25k miles) cause I left the key/lights on and ran it dead. doh :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts