Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, so when I bought my '01 R6, I rode it almost 2 hours right off the bat to get it home. No problems, no worries at this point.

When I tried riding it the next day, the battery was dead....I took it, out tested it (bad voltage), then tried fully charging it, but was still reading bad voltage, so I replaced it with a brand new battery. I got to ride it on and off on short in town trips for about 2 weeks after that.

Then I was cruising through an intersection and noticed my dash went out....and seconds later, the bike turned off all together, leaving me stranded and PISSED. I took the brand new battery out, took it to the parts store to fully charge it, put it back in and rode the bike home.....does this mean my stator is bad?? I thought it was pretty uncommon for the stator to go bad? What about the VR? How can I tell? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
make sure all your wires are good..could be a loose connection somewhere..most of the poeple who had this problem ended up being bad connection somewhere

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,620 Posts
The plug for the voltage regulator melts down on these things. The VR is under the tail above the shock. I also had the plug from the stator into the main harness melt on me. Ended up soldering new wire from the stator wires straight to the VR, put some heavy duty female spade connectors on the wires and plugged them into the stator, eliminating the crappy yamaha wires & plugs all together. Haven't had battery/charging issues since.
Vreg:

melted stator plug:

New connectors on reg:

·
Registered
20 Posts
The plug for the voltage regulator melts down on these things. The VR is under the tail above the shock. I also had the plug from the stator into the main harness melt on me. Ended up soldering new wire from the stator wires straight to the VR, put some heavy duty female spade connectors on the wires and plugged them into the stator, eliminating the crappy yamaha wires & plugs all together. Haven't had battery/charging issues since.
Vreg:

melted stator plug:

New connectors on reg:
This exact thing happened to me. But only the plug didn't fry. Wires "looked good", but not until I did a continuity test with a volt meter is when I found out that one of the wires was not good. Built a new harness and BAM bike is finally charging! now I wish it would just freakin idle =/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I hadn't responded the last couple days, I've been super busy with my Mother's funeral and trying to keep up in my classes....

I will actually pull the plugs on the VR and the Stator and look at them closer...how would I test them with a meter, and what should I be reading for V's?

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
Here is the service manual pdf. you want the 99 manual and the 01 supplement good to keep for future reference.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Check pages 361-362 or 8-26 8-27 depending on how you open the pdf.

Another good tool is the electrosport flow chart for charging systems. Its very detailed and goes thru all different situations.

https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Between these two you should be able to get a hold of your charging issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the service manual pdf. you want the 99 manual and the 01 supplement good to keep for future reference.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

Check pages 361-362 or 8-26 8-27 depending on how you open the pdf.

Another good tool is the electrosport flow chart for charging systems. Its very detailed and goes thru all different situations.

https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Between these two you should be able to get a hold of your charging issue.
Thank you bunches!:YEA

·
1,620 Posts
Sorry I hadn't responded the last couple days, I've been super busy with my Mother's funeral and trying to keep up in my classes....

I will actually pull the plugs on the VR and the Stator and look at them closer...how would I test them with a meter, and what should I be reading for V's?
You want to check for continuity end to end on each of the wires from the stator side 3 pin plug to each corresponding wire on the reg (not red or black). One from each end should show continuity or dead short with one on the other end.

Unplug the reg (5 pin by the shock)for the test.
Test 1 of the wires on the 3 pin stator plug doesn't matter which, it should show continuity with only 1 wire on reg side (test with each until you get a reading from the meter). 2nd wire on the stator side (one of the two remaining), should show continuity with another wire on the reg side, and the third on the stator side should show continuity withe the last one on the reg side.

If you need me to explain more, PM me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I have to pull the gas tank to get the VR plug off?? I am having a hell of a time getting a flathead in there, or my fingers to pull on it very efficiently....I think I'm getting too old for mechanical repair, LOL!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey guys I had the same issue around 2 month ago. got a 2000 r6 out for a cruise all of a sudden . the rpm gauge start going crazy the speed gauge started to go out and come back on. did some research on the forum and ask a few guys it was my regulator rectifier not working. it was sending to much voltage to my battery . was getting 17 to18 volts that to much try the rpm at 4000 to 5000 put the meter on the battery and see what volts you are getting . it should only be around 14.5 or 15 volts at that rpm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My battery is actually brand new, so I know it's not that....I FINALLY had a chance to check the plugs in case they were melted, when they looked good, I followed the charging schematic here on the board and without taking plastics off to pull the stator wires, I'm going to assume it's the VR since I know it's more common for the VR to go bad before the stator...

Now to find a good price on a VR....

·
1,620 Posts
So your RR plug didn't look like this one?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts