Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Braaaaapp Ride till I die
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so me and a few friends wanted to look into getting the chatterboxes for the helmets to talk back n forth while we ride. just a nice thing to have on those long rides or even just to tell someone when to turn. My deal is Chatterboxes are way to damn exspensive!!:thumbdown so we thought about getting some decent walkie talkies for 50 bucks and use those instead. anyone try this out or use walkie talkies on the road b4?? how did they do at high speeds and what type or brand did you buy??

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
how could you use walkie talkies, I'm not the most creative person, but I cant see this working just yet lol

·
R6'ers B4 Gixxers
367 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't sound too safe at all, but I guess you could get Walkie-Talkie's w/the ability to attach an earpiece/mic???

I bought a Chatterbox off eBay this summer. I think I got mine for $180. Yep, still expensive, but it's what I wanted. Anyway, it's pretty damn good, between 40 - 50MPH it get's kinds squirrely when you are trying to talk, but what I like the most about it is the fact that you can stream your music from your MP3 device. I use my iPhone, so I can stream music, receive calls and receive Intercoms from two other riders (you can't make calls from the C-Box while riding.) Range is decent, can't remember the actual distance (500m???).

I'd go with the C-Box, but I'm biased since I have one.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some new walkie talkies come with an earpiece and mic attatchment. Only thing is u have to use ur clutch hand to PUsh to Talk.. Idk how well it will work but was just an idea

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
the biggest problem is the wind at speed. So you would need to have something that cancels out the wind and background noise. If you want great clarity check out the Scala rider units as well. That's what myself and Erin use after testing a bunch of them.

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Once u get to 20 mph the wind breaks up your voice to barely recognizable, I tried a bunch of different ways to try to make it work but unless u modify ur helmet to hold a headset microphone and develop a way to radio in and out, then ur only choice is a chatterbox. I never got one cause I took my pass pegs off so no one could ride wit me, which meant I had no reason to get something to tak to them. But I hear they work really well and it's worth the money.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once u get to 20 mph the wind breaks up your voice to barely recognizable, I tried a bunch of different ways to try to make it work but unless u modify ur helmet to hold a headset microphone and develop a way to radio in and out, then ur only choice is a chatterbox. I never got one cause I took my pass pegs off so no one could ride wit me, which meant I had no reason to get something to tak to them. But I hear they work really well and it's worth the money.

damn i didnt think it would be bad if you had it wired into your helmet:confused: im gonna try it out still and see if i cant get it right

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
Well I had the earphones for the walkie and I put it in my hear and used the microphone on the wire to the earphones and I taped it into my helmet and even in ther the wind coming up by your chin distorts it....if u do find a way to use a walkie lmk I'd like to try it out.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I had the earphones for the walkie and I put it in my hear and used the microphone on the wire to the earphones and I taped it into my helmet and even in ther the wind coming up by your chin distorts it....if u do find a way to use a walkie lmk I'd like to try it out.
will do i did some researching already and found some walkie talkies with group capabilities and uses VOX(hands free PTT) mic setups ill keep yall posted

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
the biggest problem is the wind at speed. So you would need to have something that cancels out the wind and background noise. If you want great clarity check out the Scala rider units as well. That's what myself and Erin use after testing a bunch of them.
am i hearing a group buy coming up corey :popcorn:

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
subscribed to see what you come up with

·
Registered
360 Posts
with cheapo walkie talkies you most likely arenot going to get the power capabilities to trasmit clear enough audio with wind noise. with vox the sensitivity will change with wind so when you are stopped, you will be able to talk normal, but at speed wind will constantly activate it. and if you turn vox less sensitive you will have to yell at low speeds. as of right now there arent any radios with a progressive vox feature (in a sense)
with that being said if you get it to work properly im all for learning something new though!
not to be a negative nancy, just the humble opinion of an ameteur radio enthusiast

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,868 Posts
will do i did some researching already and found some walkie talkies with group capabilities and uses VOX(hands free PTT) mic setups ill keep yall posted
good shit...just PM me or something, i appreciate it bro

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with cheapo walkie talkies you most likely arenot going to get the power capabilities to trasmit clear enough audio with wind noise. with vox the sensitivity will change with wind so when you are stopped, you will be able to talk normal, but at speed wind will constantly activate it. and if you turn vox less sensitive you will have to yell at low speeds. as of right now there arent any radios with a progressive vox feature (in a sense)
with that being said if you get it to work properly im all for learning something new though!
not to be a negative nancy, just the humble opinion of an ameteur radio enthusiast
i could see the vox not being that great with the visor up but in a closed helmet i dont see where everyone is getting all this wind noise and wind from... :confused: i kno my scorpion isnt like that with the visor down. and these radios arent that cheap there 80 dollars a pair im gonna try to get a pair this weekend

·
Prostar
477 Posts
Honestly, I have yet to hear anything positive about any motorcycle com devices. Granted, I don't know anyone that has used anything newer than 3(?) years old tech.

My wife and I ride together all the time and I have always wanted to get something like this. I guess my question to those that have the Scala or Chatterbox units is, at speed how clear is communication exactly? Do you strain to hear or is it clear as day? How comfortable is the earpiece when mounted in helmet? And finally, how is the sound quality for the iPod link feature?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honestly, I have yet to hear anything positive about any motorcycle com devices. Granted, I don't know anyone that has used anything newer than 3(?) years old tech.

My wife and I ride together all the time and I have always wanted to get something like this. I guess my question to those that have the Scala or Chatterbox units is, at speed how clear is communication exactly? Do you strain to hear or is it clear as day? How comfortable is the earpiece when mounted in helmet? And finally, how is the sound quality for the iPod link feature?

Thanks in advance for any help!

i read reviews that said the chatterboxs and scala units dont do well with music. the speakers arent designed for great sound quality but just for sound itself no bass tones or anything just some treble. also read that the scala unit is a pain in the a$$ to link up with your phone..:thumbdown

·
Registered
875 Posts
i could see the vox not being that great with the visor up but in a closed helmet i dont see where everyone is getting all this wind noise and wind from... :confused: i kno my scorpion isnt like that with the visor down. and these radios arent that cheap there 80 dollars a pair im gonna try to get a pair this weekend
Your mouth is pretty close to the bottom front of the helmet. The problem may be wind whipping up under and causing an unbearable amount of noise. Most walkie talkies are made for just walking with them. The chatterboxes are made for riding so they cancel the wind noise very well. Me and my buddies all have them and it's great being able to relay information to each other while riding.
You may be able to find the sweet spot of VOX sensitivity and microphone placement in your helmet to get it to work OK. But microphone placement is key with something like that.
I hope it works for you, let us know

Edit: Chosen01: The voice clarity is great from what I've experienced with the chatterboxes. Even cruising at 70 to 80 mph down the highway there is no problems hearing what the other person is saying. No problem with wind noise whatsoever. Music is a different story. I have my iphone linked to it to answer calls if I need to but music is not very good. I've heard you can by better speakers for the chatterboxes that work much better with music but since the speakers that come with it do well with voice (and I don't listen to music to often when I'm riding) I never bought them.

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your mouth is pretty close to the bottom front of the helmet. The problem may be wind whipping up under and causing an unbearable amount of noise. Most walkie talkies are made for just walking with them.
thats where my chin curtain on my helmet and a mic sock would help out. if the VOX headset is the right size my idea is gonna be sewing it into my left cheekpad... thats just the idea ill kno more once i buy radios

1 - 20 of 22 Posts