Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST bought my '03 r6 3weeks ago and have put 1600 miles on it and have come across the same problem TWICE.

1st time- (at 400 miles) not runnin too hot, at a stoplight the check engine light came on so i turned her off to see if that would solve the problem. Tried restarting and the starter motor wouldnt engage but was whirring away.

A diagnostic code 46 came up. Pop started her to get her home, ont he way she turned off in the middle of a couple of turns (thankfully i was going pretty consevatively). Put her in the garage and waited.

Couple hours later the starter was engaging but the battery was dead. Took her out and battery recharged and that was that.

2nd time- (1600 miles)
Check engine light came on. Turned her off. Same diagnostic code same problem with the starter. After a few minutes the starter was engaging again but the battery was dead AGAIN.

I just dropped her off to the dealer a SECOND time for this problem hoping they'll figure it out this time.

ANY INSIGHTS?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have heard a few things about this.

First was that the flywheel bolt or starter gear bolt was not tightened enough and that the bike wasn't charging... this caused the Error 46, which is power supply error to the FI.

The other was some sort of regulator rectifier.

Check this out to start. R6 Messagnet Thread

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rocky nailed it. Get it to the shop for warranty. Minor if fixed right away, could be severe if you go without checking it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's definately en electrical problem. I think it is your alternator not charging your battery. A starter motor needs more juice to pop out the starter gear than to turn the motor so a nearly flat battery will cause this. This is why you just heard the motor whir i think. Also once the bike is started it should run on just the juice the alternator is supplying. Now the faster your revs the more juice it provides. So if your revs drop like at lights etc your bike would lose spark and die. Hope it's an easy fix. If you like to fix stuff yourself first up check the output of your alternator with a multimeter or a 12v light globe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.