Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds totally newb but my past motorcycles have had sight glass for oil levels and I just bought a 04 R6 with 10k miles and its got a dipstick.

Just did an oil change and not sure where to fill up to.
Do I check oil without threading dipstick in or with threaded?
Because theyre showing two completely different levels.

Any input would be great :swordfigh:dunce:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
unthreaded and the bike as level as possible. Otherwise you can use a measuring pitcher to put the exact amount of oil in for a change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone else confirm unthreaded?
Watched a couple videos saying threaded. Of course that would result in having to put less oil in. I just don't want to overfill. :banned:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For everyone else. I just found the manual booklet and indeed it does say DO NOT THREAD. Thanks guys, much appreciated.:cheers:bow:bowroll

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Can anyone else confirm unthreaded?
Watched a couple videos saying threaded. Of course that would result in having to put less oil in. I just don't want to overfill. :banned:
No go ahead and thread it in :rolleyes:
Maybe you missed the part about the graduated pitcher? :secret
Maybe confirm you have the correct dipstick in too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No go ahead and thread it in :rolleyes:
Maybe you missed the part about the graduated pitcher? :secret
Maybe confirm you have the correct dipstick in too.
Well I tried using my dipstick from my VW but it didnt go in all the way...required a little force but eventually got it. :nocontrol:lmao

·
Registered
5 Posts
Checking my oil level? 00 r6

The red light came on when i was out on 2000 r6 at about 80 degrees And the oil light is flashing constant. So i checked the oil level and it seems to be fine any1 had this problem? Cheers

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If your checking the oil with the bike level and off the side stand as well as not screwing the dipstick down and the levels are fine but the light still flickers it could be normal if your riding on slopes or sudden accel/decel, according to the manual.

Or you can test the switch and relay if you want. Get the service manual from r6messagenet and follow the steps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
turns out when i used a mate to hold the bike level..instead of checking it alone the oil level was low. So that why the light wasnt flashing. Thanks lad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts