Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you do this? The guy at the shop was not sure where to check the oil level. I looked and could not see it and assume its behind a fairing ( which is retarded if you ask me) but oh well. Anyone know?

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
A guy at the shop didn't know where to check your oil? Hope that wasn't the Yamaha dealer. :lmao

Not sure myself would like to know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dip stick on the right hand side (sitting on bike) there isnt a sight glass like on other bikes.

You dip the stick with the bike up right and engine off. Dont try and take a reading with it on its side stand.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, no joke. I bought the bike, they did a 30 minute inspection on it and then he "walked" me through the basic controls ( starting, turn signals, all that) and then when i asked him about the oil he started looking around like me and was like im not sure. So i just ok nevermind ill find and have not been able to do so, granted i havent spent to much time trying. Oh yes it was a yamaha/suzuki dealership..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dip stick on the right hand side (sitting on bike) there isnt a sight glass like on other bikes.

You dip the stick with the bike up right and engine off. Dont try and take a reading with it on its side stand.

I was looking for that damn dip stick!!! Is it near the back foot break area?

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
Thats crazy. Guess maybe Yamaha changed it and he didn't know about the change.

I will try to look for it when I get home.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I will look again as well. How often do you change oil in these things? Guy told me to come back for a tune up after 500-600 miles.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so i have a picture of the bike on my phone and i zoomed all the way in. I do not see the dip stick. Do I have to unscrew it? Is it like a car dip stil that just slides out? Right by the fairing i see some thing i can unscrew but hav eno idea what that is.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Thats crazy. Guess maybe Yamaha changed it and he didn't know about the change.

I will try to look for it when I get home.
As I've seen it's been the same on all R6's .. he just didn't know what he was doing. I've got an 01 and it's exactly the same - dipstick on the right side.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys i know its on the right hand side...what does the thing look like? Is it behind the fairing? is it right undre the metal frame on top of that cover looking thing with a hose comming out of it? Right by the R6 sticker?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Its in front of the right foot peg next to the clutch cover its pretty obvious where it is I can't believe you are having this much of an issue finding a simple oil dipstick.

Really makes you wonder how you plan to maintain the bike.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A, the bike is not at my place and B i am going off a picture. Now if a guy that works at a yamaha store that rides bikes cant find the dipstick, dont you think its in an odd location? Im a new rider and never had a bike, to me its pure retardation that they make the thing that hidden. Just like its pure retardation that this bike dont have gas guages or tell you what gear your in like the others in this class.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Infront of the footpeg is the break, then there is some hexagon looking whole thing in the frame and then there is a cover and on top of that cover is some thing you can unscrew...maybe thats the dipstick, i have not had a chance to play around with it yet...but its retarded how its setup compared to the other bikes...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
A, the bike is not at my place and B i am going off a picture. Now if a guy that works at a yamaha store that rides bikes cant find the dipstick, dont you think its in an odd location? Im a new rider and never had a bike, to me its pure retardation that they make the thing that hidden. Just like its pure retardation that this bike dont have gas guages or tell you what gear your in like the others in this class.
No that guy should not be a tech or near bikes if he couldn't find the parts on a bike. Also any competent tech SHOULD know about the product they sell.

Second the hole in the frame the damn dipstick is RIGHT in front moving towards the front of the bike, its really not that difficult. Why not stop posting and wait till you get home its pretty hard to see in a picture anyway since it is black.

The screw thing you are talking about is the oil filler hole.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My phone is crystal clear and that hexagon hole we are talking about...the dip stick is to the right and on top of it right. There is also a little hose comming from the bottom of that case looking thing. Dude i just dont know about bikes yet and will figure it out asap. pretty much the dipstick is before the fairing starts right?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And that my friend is the issue!!! my bike does not have that! You see that think on the top of the silver cover? Thats the only thing my bike has.

·
WATCHOUT...I'll be back
447 Posts
Did you ride the bike home? That dipstick is on the right side if you are sitting on the bike. If it is not there and you drove it home then you will have oil everywhere. It shots out quit a bit while the bike is on. Just go home and check it out. And make sure it is there. I also have an '07, so I am sure that, that is where it is. GL

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend rode the bike home for me and i was riding it around the neighborhood with no oil or any visible problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts