Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help with chem homework hears the question :rant

When a leaking cylinder is moved from a burning building into an open area. Why do experts recommend that it be rotated so the point if leakage becomes the uppermost part of the cylinder?

·
Registered
142 Posts
is that all the information that is given? Do any previous questions go with this question?

If its a closed cylinder you would want the leakage to be up so it won't leak anymore. If it's a regular cylinder then I am not sure because if the leak is from the bottom and you flip it over so the leak is at the top then everything will spill at the bottom, same with if the leak is on the side. if you were to place it horizontal, it would spill out..

is this a trick question? what is the delta?

·
FBGM
62 Posts
id say if the leak was at the top then if it blows open and facing up only the top comes off...but if the bottom has the leak then the thing becomes a rocket.

·
Another Bikeless Bro
4,466 Posts
I'm saying if the canister were to explode enough of the force would be directed upward from the blast instead of in a direction towards people, or downwards where it would become a projectile...no bueno

And if the canister itself wasn't volatile or pressurized enough to explode, it would just be the smartest way to empty the container, the gas would diffuse out through the opening, eventually leaving just the empty container.

Also gases when heated are generally more volatile due to increased collision of particles on a molecular level. Maybe going from a rapid rate of movement in the burning building to the cooler temps outside would slow the movement of the particles. But that would make it less volatile...ef

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Because if the leak point is the highest point then none of it will spill out. :rolleyes:

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts

·
iRun
33,319 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys for all the help.... yea the book dosnt give me any more info thats all it says for the question but i got a good idea now :cheers

now matt gots something to copy off me from

·
I'm Gonna Victory!
6,448 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts