Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
MITICO
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Considering it's my first 600cc bike on American roads and having never done a track day I think I could be ALOT worse, wondering about opinions / tips for getting this last stretch of chicken off the tire (other than the obvious fact of doing it on a track)

Here's my last strip adventure, 6 weeks on my RS 125 on Italian Mountain roads:

·
RVNRIDER
80 Posts
is it your first bike? if so then no need to rush it. but you'll get there :) just lean the bike more lol just dont wreck lol

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Don't attempt to get rid of them. They will disappear with time as you become more comfortable with the bike.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
I have like 1 or 1 1/2 inch strips on my street tires. Part of that is because they are the stock Dunlop 208s that I just don't have a lot of confidence in. Most of it is because they are street tires. If anyone has a problem with that, I invite them to try to pass me at the track.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I have about 900 miles of experience in my life on a bike (r6 is my first) and I still have them all over. I don't really worry about it, hopefully I will develop. :D

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
The type of tire you run is not that important as far as getting rid of strips but don't worry about strips anyway. It will come in time and itis easier on curvy roads (tight). Sweeping turns need more speed to lean further, so not recomended. Remember, no strips does not = skill. It only means that you've been at a certain lean angle and as you get faster you will use less lean angle because your lines will improve, and then you will use a greater lean angle again as you push your limits (hopefully at the track).

·
I miss the 600cc fun.
219 Posts
that's about the same space of strip I have left on my stock D208s on my r6S i tried to get a little pass more but I felt the back slipped on me.... so Im not going to take any risk on them. As these tires wear out on me I am going to try out those D208 Sportmax GP-A tires they look shhhhhhhhhhhhhweeeeeet

·
Registered
52,013 Posts
Stock tires will feather to the edges on the street... depends on roads & conditions. Don't worry about the strips, just focus on your riding. They will get smaller in time.

·
Mezz
3,778 Posts
Even if you wear the tire to the edge the strips will come back if you don't consistently lean that far, so you are right its a never ending battle. I don't really concern myself with them so much now. For those of you saying the stock Q's are not confidence inspiring...I felt the same way until I found a location where I could repeatedly and consistently lean the bike over more and more. I've had the stock Q's over to the edge and been on throttle through corner exits and they held firm...I'm not saying they are incredible tires but for street riding they do their job.

·
I miss the 600cc fun.
219 Posts
I got no chicken strips on my stock D208s front 60 series tires does that count :toocool: lol, but yeah one day I'll find that corner/curve/radius to where I will just play on it everyday....

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are two ways to get rid of chicken strips, 1, knee scrape every corner, or 2, put your bike up on a pitbull stand, put in 1st gear, and sandpaper the sides.

·
I miss the 600cc fun.
219 Posts
Option #2 doesn't sound so skilled lol, but to each and its own

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Chicken strips don't necessarily mean anything. It's EXTREMELY dependent on body positioning.

After going to the track and working on body positioning the whole time, I got new tires and went to attack a favorite road of mine. I rode it harder and faster than I ever had, and looked down at the end and still had big old strips on the tire (whereas I had previously run that road down to no strips on my stock tires). They mean nothing. I'll save harder riding for the track. Now, if you've been to the track and STILL have strips... then you've got a problem.

Lack of strips on the street means one of two (or maybe both) things to me:

1. Your body positioning sucks.

or

2. You ride harder on the street than you should and need to hit up a track day.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
So Cal canyon riding will take away your strips if you really want them gone and you don't have to ride too hard. I ride Azusa, East Fork, and GMR all the time and you can lose your strips on any of those roads. Also, someone had a good point regarding body position. You will use less lean angle the more you hang-off until you push hard.

Also, IMO, all of the newer tires are by far good enough to handle maximum lean angles. If you still have strips (which are not important) and the tire slides or is not sticking, it’s not because the tire is not good enough or being pushing it too hard. The tire is losing traction for another reason.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Reiterating 2 points again:

1. Poor body positioning is the #1 reason that most street riders don't have chicken strips. They're not going fast and using too much lean angle for their speed.
2. Chicken strips do NOT indicate how much tire is left. Once your chicken strips are gone, you still have a TON of lean angle left before maximum lean is reached.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts