Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 444 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided I wanted to make a thread for my bike just to document it's progress and discuss it with anyone who is interested.

I have a black and red 2002 R6 I got as my first bike. I have neck arthritis and had to sell my YFZ450 atv, so I traded it plus a couple G's and got my first sportbike.

Here she is as I got her:

As you can see it came with a D&D pipe, red chrome windscreen, and ridiculous flame harley style mirrors that showed nothing but my elbows. Lemme know if anyone wants to buy em for a cruiser or something.

I only put gas in it for the first season and put about 2000 miles on her. The stock sized front tire (60) series, and the touring tires in general I had on it really made it handle like crap. Any decent lean angle would produce font tire push and it sputtered when maintaining speed.

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first thing I did was borrow a bunch of really nice gear from a friend, and ordered up some ebay mirrors which arrived in the fake carbon fiber look, but for $30 I didn't care. The bike is so much safer with mirrors, especially for a newer rider.

Here it is with the new mirrors on one of my first few rides with my friends and their much newer and nicer bike.

You can almost see the stupid Raiders sticker on the front fender.. grrrr

Attachments

·
CCS #164
404 Posts
nice bike... what else have you done to it? besides the rejetting i read about in your help thread lol

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got some A* full gauntlet gloves, SMK jacket, and an AGV S4 helmet. Also picked up some A* Riding shoes/boots.

Next, I'm gonna get A* track pants since they started making them in a short version. Gonna also try to upgrade to the Sidi vertigo air boots asap.

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice bike... what else have you done to it? besides the rejetting i read about in your help thread lol
LOL I'll keep posting replies with more details got months of pics of progression. Gonna plug my help thread in the first post hoping for some love since I dumped a lot of $$ and can't ride now. :(

·
CCS #164
404 Posts
i replied with some tips. try em out. also if they dont work, re-check over your jetting and carb install. sometimes things just slip your mind working with all the little pieces of a carb

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Over the winter I ordered a bunch of stuff. I was most excited about the new tires. Michelin power pures. Changed the whole way the bike felt. It wouldn't even lean with the 60 on the front. Here they are when I first got em.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Over the winter, I ordered a whole other mess of things. a bunch of stuff I got form people on this forum at great prices. Love this site!!
Here's the list, but I feel like I forgot a couple things.
  • Michelin Power Pures (70 front)
  • Cheap faux carbon fiber mirrors
  • Corbin Seat
  • Light smoke black DB windscreen
  • Driven 520 chain kit -1/+1 Black sprocket, the red one was magenta
  • SpeedoDRD
  • Painted Rear Hugger
  • Spiegler SS lines with red coating and chrome banjos
  • New factory OEM master cylinder
  • Factory pro velocity stacks
  • Factory pro jet kit
  • clutch plates, friction plates, and springs
  • new OEM throttle cables
  • New OEM clutch cable
  • Battery Tender Jr. with quick detach kit
  • Micron Race Header
  • HR1 Riot slip-on shorty exhaust. Matte black can with Red tip
  • Motion pro axle tool
  • Vortex front head lift stand
  • Vortex rear stand and red spools
  • Tune up stuff: Spark Plugs, Oil and filter
  • Go Pro HD Helmet cam

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Rear tire with Driven 520 +1 sprocket

Front 70 series Power Pure tire up on the new Vortex stand. Lowered front end 10 mm to compensate for new front tire height. Still need to raise fender so it can go back on. Any tips?

Fork height after adjustment:

Vortex Rear stand, on vortex red spools. Painted Hugger. Undertail kit visible too.

Here's a shot of the chain on the bike. You can see the massive arch on the rear tire, which is only a 180. It really lays the bike down nicely when flipping through turns.

Not sure if you read bout how I cut the chain too short Well, it fit perfect on my friends 08 R6, so I spent hours doing his chain and putting his bike together.. love doing shit twice right? Still, It's better than running two master links, which would have been fine anyway..

A Better shot of the chain. Not cleaned yet.. Gooey

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Spiegler SS Lines

The Spiegler saga.. Got the lines. Love the look, etc.. Got the old rubber bumpers off the old lines so the new ones are nicely routed and protected. My buddy gave me some brake fluid for free.. It was Dot 5 which I figured should be ok even though it uses dot 4.. Well, it was a bad batch that was recalled by Harley for corroding the internals on the brakes. So had to flush and bleed ll over again..

With the older setup like my bike you have to pump the lever and loosen the banjo bolt on the master cylinder to bleed the cylinder. It's the only way to get a bleed. I read it in a couple threads. +100 to whoever posted that info.

Rear brake line:

Front MC and Right Caliper

A LOT more precise and strong braking power now! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
looks really nice man!

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Carb Removal Cleaning & Jetting How To

The carbs are a real PIA to remove from the bike. I have seen several posts where people are having trouble locating the screws to loosen. This pic is with the carbs off. You can see the clamps don't move cause of a ridge on the boot that holds em steady. The left three have to be accessed with a long allen key. The screws are kinda visible by looking past the sync screws on the carb. Here's a pic with the carbs off so you can see where the screws are:

This next pic shows how you can access the right carb screw through the side of the frame after moving some wires aside.

This shot shows me with a brite LED headlight placed in the valve cover to shine into the screws location, and you can see the allen key in place. This is the #3 carb..

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Carb Removal Cleaning & Jetting How To

Man, my laptop just BSOD'd in the middle of a monster post..

Anyway with the carbs off, check out the image below to see how to jet it and what to do with the bowls off:

Once you get the pilot screw caps drilled out (piece of cake, soft ass metal made to be removed easily) you can richen your pilot or low speed mixture which will help if your bike is breaking up under 1/8 throttle like whne maintaining speed..

When you remove the diaphragm cap, there is a spring that sits on top of the thing that holds the needle. It prevents the slides from flying up early in the RPM range.. I was told I should drill out the little hole on the slide just a hair and it will allow them to open up faster.. Anyone know of this or done it?

I set my needles with the shim one slot from the top. The clip can be lowered which raises the needle and richens your mid range up.. I also set my pilot screw 2.5 turns out (2 turns out is stock).

*A nice tip for getting the carbs to go in easily is to just wipe the rims of the manifold boots with a bit of oil filter oil and the carb will slip right on in.

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Foctory Pro Velocity Stacks and Corbin Seat

The Factory Pro Velocity stack look so fkcin sexy on there! :hump

The corbin seat with deep saddle. Sits a lil lower than stock. perfect feel. Gonna hit it with leather cleaner then zymol conditioner and I bet it'll darken up a bit and look better next to the rear seat, which is not as black as it looks from the camera flash.

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
want to see that new pipe :)
Me too bro. It'll be the first first generation I've seen with the riot shorty on it. Should look tits with the black can against the black front lower fairing and how the top of the bike is red so will be the tip. I think it's gonna look vicious and sound like hell on earth man. Should have it by the end of the week i hope. Also looks like i may have to take it to the shop to have em look at this misfire issue I'm having.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New OEM throttle cables. I ordered em before I read about the R1 cable mod, but I really am not ready for anything that touchy yet so I'm still mega psyched about the new cables. I also got a clutch cable but haven't gotten it on yet.

I had a bunch of play and a slow return on the throttle. I put the new cables on and gave it a nice adjustment with the carbs half out so I could really tweak it. It feels better than my boys 08.

You pretty much just drop these three screws out of the housing and remove hte bar end.

Then you can get to the ends of the cables to replace.

These are the ends on the attach to the carb linkage. Really tight working space unles you have the carbs half out.

Attachments

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Badass ride man, cant wait to see finished pics/vids. Way to keep the first gens alive!
Thanks dude! It means a lot to me cause it's my first bike. I've been on here a LOT and finally feel like it was time to post up. Keep checkin back for updates. This new exhaust setup should be glorious. Vids and all that to come soon.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got her runnin again tonight. One of those pilot jets wasn't screwed in tight, came loose, jammed the float wide open. So much fuel dumping couldn't ignite.

HRr1 update: the didn't have the red tips in stop so I'll be gettinng a matte black can witb a ploished tip which will look awesome too. I should have it by next week for sure now.

also got my micrron race header today. Thx kaos_11

you guys think I should do the header with the d&d, and do a comparison and video, etc. And then do the riot and another video and comparison? I'll do it if anyone would be interested.

1 - 20 of 444 Posts