Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered this setup today after a lot of reading and research. It's a bit pricey, but from what I can see it's the best protection and comfort you can buy.

The back protector: The VERY comprehensive tail bone coverage of the race version (which is the one I got) along with the shoulder blade coverage and CE level TWO impact rating are what sold me, along with the thin profile and spine-contour.

Chest protector: It has two sets of velcro allowing it to attach to the straps of the back protector. I actually think this might work just as well as a single back/chest unit because you can adjust the chest unit's position on the straps for optimal placement.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
would this require removing the shoulder pads from the jacket/suit?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I been trying to cop one of these up, but they all on backorder....
That was one of the options I was considering but I don't think the back protector portion provides as thorough protection as the units I was considering.

So I was able to try on the stuff with my new suit the other day.

Back protector first impressions:

Pros: This back protector is TOP NOTCH. Really comfortable, great fit, adjustability, and construction, nice and thin but still CE level 2 certified, full tailbone and shoulder blade coverage, the works.

Cons: There are two. One, they sent me the unit with camo trim, when I ordered black. Two, I found it for 100 dollars cheaper somewhere else after the order.

Chest protector first impressions:

Pros: Clever attachment method, looks like it would provide thorough protection, seems to stay in place well.

Cons: Very thick. Makes the suit fit tightly. I would need to ride for a few hours to decide if it would be uncomfortable or not.

Long story short, the back protector is awesome, the chest protector is so-so. I ordered a black race one (got the last one in my size!!!) from the 100-dollar-cheaper place (oncycles.com) and will be returning both the back and chest unit I currently have for now. I am going to try a couple other chest protectors on in person with the suit and back protector to see if they fit better. If not, I will order this one again because the quality is very good.

Here are shots of the suit fit with both on, and the fit of the items under the suit:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: returned both units to the first vendor, and received the back protector from the other place with the better price. It was oncycles.com, you can check if they still have any in stock for $125... killer deal. Just make sure you get the race version for the tailbone protection.

I wore it for 200 miles of twisties on sunday and it friggin rocks. Very comfortable, stays in place, and even in a full tuck it still definitely provides tailbone coverage. Great piece of gear.

I am still looking into my various options for a chest protector. Supposedly Knox has released an updated version that is thinner and pre-contoured, which I may look into.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts