Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Are you gong to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway May 7th With Socal Track Days?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • I should but I am not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More Info on SOCAL TRACK DAYS

Here is what I got from their Website. I can see it working. But then again, this would be my first time with them.

From the website:

"Welcome to SoCal track days. We began operations in January 2003 to provide racers and track day enthusiasts with an alternative to the standard session track day format. We believe a limited number of riders with previous track experience can have an enjoyable and safe track day using our no-session format. The goal of SoCal Track Days is to give our customers the freedom to ride as much or as little as they please and thereby maximize their individual track day experience. This format works because the limited number of riders prevents congestion on the track and experienced riders are capable of handling the additional freedom and responsibility. Safety is also enhanced because riders set their own schedule and only ride when and for as long as they like instead of rushing to ride whenever “their group” is up. The results are self evident; since SoCal Track Days inception the vast majority of our events sell out in advance and during a typical weekend very little time is lost due to crashes. So, if you’ve spent the time, effort, and money to reach a higher level of riding proficiency and want to step up to a track day program that recognizes your accomplishments, come see us at SoCal Track Days."

:usa

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I'm not going on the 7th - have a wedding to go to that weekend - but I've ridden with them before.

If you're comfortable on the track and not squeamish about getting passed, the no session format is freakin' awesome. It's basically just an open track all day, and you get on and off as you please (barring red flags and a lunch break).

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
Hmm, that sounds interesting (no session format) and yeah I suppose if your at least a medium or B level rider then your pretty much good to go I would imagine. :popcorn: to see how you like it. I'll be at Buttonwillow myself that day. Have a good time.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
When I went with SoCal, it was only my 2nd trackday, and firmly a group C rider (which I still am, but we'll see how I do at Fontana this weekend :) ) and it was fine for me. I had my friend along who's pretty fast and usually rides in A, and he basically said just make sure you hold you're line and keep a cool head and you'll be fine.

I actually really liked riding around with the fast guys, as it's much easier to pick up on their lines when you're out on the track with them as opposed to watching from the pits.

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any problem being passed or passing another rider (inside or outside) so it sounds like a good time. I usually run on B group and would usually pass most of B grouper unless they are just sandbagging and should really be in A or are control riders. I think it is easier when you are in a faster group as the flow of the track is much better. I guess I just need to bring more gas! LOL.

It is much better riding with faster guys because you can pick up their lines. As any track junkie knows, it's not about dragging knees but rather the proper lines (race and passing). Dragging knees is just collateral! LOL.

Robin

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll like it if you like the open track format. We are headed out there again next Saturday September 3rd. The track is AMAZING. CVR and SMMR is proly my two most favorite tracks here in SOCAL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
cool, ive never been to an open track format. ive been to thr track. but i think ill love the format. everytime i go to a track day n my group is out n they call us in, im never ready to go in, so being able to stay out as long as i want is worth paying a little more. i was thnking of going the 3rd also but i just started school this week and thought i would be busy studing that week being it so close to the beinging or the semster. let me know how the weather was when u come back, should be ****ing hot

·
TRAVELER
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is an older Tundra (2001) with the small access cab (suicide doors). The bed is long enough to where I can close my gate but I choose to use my stand because I find it handy (don't have to stuff it somewhere else on the bed of the truck) plus it makes it more stable. I use ratchet tie downs to secure it from the wheel to both latches for the tail gate. I then place the bed extender gate on there. This way I have more room to put track stuff like a cooler and so forth.

Here is a couple of pictures to give you an idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts