Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend used that brillo pad that comes with the R6 on his stock exhaust can, and it scratched the hell out of it. Why the hell did Yamaha include that with the bike?

Anyway, if part of your boot gets melted to the midpipe, anybody know of a way to get it off without scratching the hell out of it with a brillo pad? I heard steel wool is can be used, but I'm not going to be experimenting with that, you know what I'm saying?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I also wonder this same thing... hmm i never used it i was always to scared.

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you have anything metal make sure the cleaner has very low silicone content. on the more polished metal some metal polish cleaners and metal polishers will look VERY bad because they have alot of silicone in them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you can't pick teh melted boot off you'll need to use an abrasive but then go finer grade and eventually a cream polish like autosol - or buy a mop for the end of your power drill and go with a proper polishing wax - cetem do kits with waxes and mops for about £40 which will come in handy on humdreds of bits over the years

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used a pro honda cream and a rag, but it took forever to get it off. at one point, we used the cream and the stock brillo pad, and it got it off pretty quick. The only problem with that was that it scratched the midpipe up -- making it look dull if it was shiny or shiny if it was dull. I used the pro honda cream and a rag, but it takes forever to get the melted boot parts off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Use Mother's chrome cleaner. It comes in a red and white tub, and is white. You have to heat up the exhaust pipe, so run the engine a little bit to make that plastic, or rubber, soft again, and then (with a thick rag) dab on the mother's, and rub it off. It will take a while, (took me about 30 min) but when it comes off, you will never be able to tell anything ever happened.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A. that brillo pad of a thing that came with your bike works great if you are careful-go with the grain (around the can) and make sure you use nice straight passes. your pipe will look brand new all the time.

B. like Hammy said, to make your pipe look better, unbolt the bolt that connects the rear footpeg to the pipe, unbolt the one that connects to the header, remove the stock pipe, throw it away, and install your new Devil can from Hammy!!!

C. 3-in-1 cleaner/ lubricant (WD-40) will get the melted boot marks off your pipe...... as well as the chain lube from the swingarm... and pertty much anything else you get on the bare metal parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive heard very good things about mothers billet. supposedly on a few year old micron which was hardly ever washed it cleaned it up so well somebody thought it was a new can. also you will get a very intense shine from it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about steel wool? Will stell wool get out minor scratches and what not. I saw some guy do it at the local repair shop, and thought it might get some scratches out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts