Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my seals were leaking again after my last wreck. Pull the forks completely apart and there is dirt caked on around the C clip and the top of the seal. Pop the clip and the seal out and now I have to start scraping the dirt out that has been sitting in there hardening for 6 months.

Question: Does anyone know what suspension shops use to clean fork internals? I'm sure small bits of dirt is falling into the tube while I clean it off. I'm sure they use some sort of cleaner to flush all the old shit out with.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
I used break parts cleaner. Just be sure to wipe out the internals of the extra fluid as much as you can and then blow them out with the air compressor

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
I've always just used brake cleaner. If you are worried about contaminants, I would pull the entire fork apart.

An easy (and less effective) alternative is to drain all the fluid, pump the old stuff out of the cartridge, and then flush it with clean fluid a couple times.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I've always just used brake cleaner. If you are worried about contaminants, I would pull the entire fork apart.

An easy (and less effective) alternative is to drain all the fluid, pump the old stuff out of the cartridge, and then flush it with clean fluid a couple times.
Way less effective method. The fluid will trap the dirt but not clean anything out.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Way less effective method. The fluid will trap the dirt but not clean anything out.
Agreed. Total waste of time. I learned this in my dirt riding days. You want it clean, take it apart and actually clean it.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I have heard a lot of people say to use contact cleaner. It's the spray shit, not the shit for the contacts you put in your eyes.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I had everything apart already and wasn't getting any responses at the time, so I just cleaned it the best I could with clean "shop towels." Who knew there was a specific product called fork cleaner. I'm sure I'll wreck again soon and screw up my seals so i'll go ahead and buy some cleaner now for the next time.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Did you ensure your forks were straight after the crash? Bent forks will make seals leak. Of course so will dirt caked all up in your shit, but it is always a good idea to check the straightness of your forks after a crash. I'd get them checked if you have more issues with leaking.

I try to use lint free rags when working inside of stuff like suspension.

Agreed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts