Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.....it's been a while since i've last cleaned my chain and it's looking pretty dirty, well really dirty. What works best to get the worst dirt and grime off the chain....will wd-40 work best or is there something stronger? Usually i just spray on wd-40, wipe it off and lube it up but i don't think that's gonna be strong enough this time!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I use Simple Green, undiluted, works great. I spray it on bugs and on all the nasty shit that builds up on the bottom of the fairings too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
mine was pretty messed up before i put it in storage, so i threw some WD-40 on it to clean it right up

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i use wd-40 and an old tooth brush to clean the chain. i would stay away from using simple green. im afraid it would actually dry out the o-rings. now i use simple green to clean the excess chain wax that flew off like under the chain guard and stuff.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
NoLegs said:
stoneloco808 said:
i would stay away from using simple green. im afraid it would actually dry out the o-rings.
And it's corrosive too! That's like an extra bonus for the chain!
Their Web site says it can be safely used on metals, even aluminum, as long as it is not allowed to sit for more than 10 minutes (on aluminum) and is followed by a rust inhibitor, doesn't Chain wax and lube along with lubing the chain also protect it from rust?

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
z31maniac said:
doesn't Chain wax and lube along with lubing the chain also protect it from rust?
Yes it does, but wouldn't it be better to use an alternate cleaning method, like kerosene or WD-40 rather than use a possible "harmful-to-your-chain" cleaner and then try to get IT off?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Not a bad idea but if it is not going to corrode the metal and I have a hard time believing that it will dry out the O-Rings, then I don't see the problem.

The chain has 4110 miles and is absolutely pristine I'll let you guys know how it continues to hold up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Kerosene!!!!!!!
cheap, and is petroleum based, provides some lubricity, and melts away the gunk off the chain, incrediable.

I usually, park bike on stand
put a little kerosene in a dish
use a paint brush to wipe it on, and brush dirt away
and keep doing this until the kerosene coming off is clean or about that.
Then I go for a real short ride to sling some kerosene off, and get the chain a little warmer then cold, so the PJ1 black label penetrates better, then fallow directions.

I do this religiously every 400 miles, I think it's enjoyable :jump

1 - 12 of 12 Posts