Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any leads on best way to clean old fairings(o2 r6) there a little old-n-grimmey and pretty sun faded
was thinking a super fine 400 grit sand paper, or buffing machine, searched you tube just seem to find dirtbike fender clean up

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,326 Posts
400 grit sandpaper is "super fine" only in context of woodworking, not auto body.
The reason you find dirt bike restoration videos is dirt bike plastics are molded in color. Anyone can get good results restoring them by sanding them out, polishing them down, and using various de-whitening products on them. Street bike plastics actually carry a color layer, I hesitate to call it paint, since I don't know that it technically is paint, but nonetheless you can go through it. The oem graphics are also often decals which are difficult to work around.
I would suggest working it as you would an older car with oxidized paint, with a thorough cleaning followed by judicious, conservative wet sanding, then a professional, body shop grade compound, and finally a pro, body shop grade polish. I would also suggest working the compound and polish by hand, as a rotary buffer can not only go right through the color layer it can melt the plastic. Basically what I'm saying is to treat it like you would a painted car panel. You will not get the results you want trying to scrape it or heat gun it like a dirtbike fender. You should also buy much finer sandpaper, 600-1000-1500 and 2000 grit, maybe even go 3000 for the final step before compounding. Try the compound before you start sanding, it may give the results you want by itself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts