Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Anyone know how to clean the chain and then lube it up?

My local mechanic said not to use kerosene (like was said in other posts) due to it could hurt the inside O-rings.

I'm also seeing slight orange spots (very slight) on parts of my chain. Does it just need a good cleaning?

I've seen a can of PJ-1 no fly lube for the chain pretty cheap...should i use this or another product?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
well if you have a lot of miles on the chain you should consider getting a new chain, if not what i would suggest is chain wax, the sell it down to the yamaha dealer, i use it and its great, to clean it i would just take it off and use some WD40, you dont wanna use any degreaser or anything cause its supposed to be lubed, the orange is just surface rust, just take a wire brush to it lightly to get it off and then lube it well and put it back on. :menace

·
Where'd He Go?!
318 Posts
I just go to cycle gear and buy the chain cleaner and lube and I spray the chain cleaner on, let it sit for about 5-10 mins then take a rag to it and wipe it all off, then if needed, do it again and then I lube it up with the other spray can. WOrks great!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
kerosine (parrafin) is perfectly OK on o-ring chains and is recommended by most manufacturers for cleaning chains. Petrol is to be avoided at all costs.

WD40 works fine too and use an old stiff bristled toothbrush to get the surfaces clean.

Whatever you use to clean it make sure you wipe it off with a clean lint-free cloth before applying lube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts