Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 r6 and once i put the key in the bike and turn it to the on position, it starts quietly clicking. Im assuming its coming from the starter. The bike starts up fine and runs fine but what is the clicking before it starts? Its not clicking as i try to start it, just once the key is turned to on.

also, a side question.. If i ride with no hands, it veers to the right. any ideas why?

Thanks!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
When you turn the key to 'on' the fuel pump primes. It's probably coming from the pump. The starter doesn't do anything until you thumb the starter. Might also be the relay that turns off the headlights until the motor is running to avoid draining the battery. I'd take a good listen and see if you can track down where the click is coming from.

Sounds like you've got bent forks or twisted triple clamps. Could possibly be that the forks are twisted in the triple a little bit. You could try loosening the lower triple clamp and bouncing the front end around a bit, then tightening it back up and see if it lines itself back up. Are you the first owner? Has the bike been down at all before?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The clicking is definitely coming from above the rear wheel. Ill try to narrow down where its coming from when i get home.

The previous owner did drop it at some point. What are the triple clamps? I swapped out the sprockets and had to tighten the chain. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe the rear wheel is ever so slightly not aligned or something?

·
2003 R6
141 Posts
The clicking is definitely coming from above the rear wheel. Ill try to narrow down where its coming from when i get home.

The previous owner did drop it at some point. What are the triple clamps? I swapped out the sprockets and had to tighten the chain. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe the rear wheel is ever so slightly not aligned or something?[/Q

Cant remember if the 06 has the exup valve on it but if so, the noise may be the motor trying to open or close the valve. My 07 does this all the time and is annoying as it is constantly running bc I took the cables off the bike and left the valve open. Again not sure if this is the noise you here, but it is located right above the back tire. Good luck.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

The previous owner did drop it at some point. What are the triple clamps? I swapped out the sprockets and had to tighten the chain. Could that have something to do with it? Maybe the rear wheel is ever so slightly not aligned or something?

The triple clamps are essentially the piece that connect the forks to the frame of the motorcycle, through the steering head.

The lower triple is the piece about half-way down the forks in that picture, where the horn is mounted. You can loosen the 4 allen bolts (they're 5 or 6mm, I forget) and bounce the front end around to see if it'll straighten itself out. If the wheel isn't straight ahead when the bars are straight ahead, you can put the wheel up against something solid, and with the lower clamps loose, turn the bars to try to twist things back to being lined up. Or you may just need to take the forks and/or triples apart and take them to get straightened. What I'm describing is the quick/ghetto fix if things are just slightly twisted.

Don't loosen the upper triple clamps (near the clip-ons), or the forks will slide through the clamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts