Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding for about 10 months now. I currently go out to the country where they have pretty smooth turnpike like turns and very little cars. I've noticed in the passed few months I have began to feel more confortable leaning the bike. While in a midturn lean I manage to go over a bump. I can only guess as I try to decribe the rear wheel getting air, the bike going upright, and I am going towards the shoulder. I managed to not panic and save it at last minute. Is there any reccomeondations someone would make in terms of identifying bumps on roads? or how to handle situations like this better? I was not using excessive speed but still would like to understand situations such as this and try to better learn from them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
you did the best thing you could do in that situation as it came up yesterday and didn't panic.

as for the recognizing it the best thing you can do is just learn the road if you are on it frequently and memorize. Sometimes a bump will look the same as a flat spot and sneak up on you.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
Make sure your suspension is setup properly for you. The best thing that can be done is to have it tuned so your tires maintain good contact.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
Make sure your suspension is setup properly for you. The best thing that can be done is to have it tuned so your tires maintain good contact.
:fact

What happened OP? Did the bike kick up on you? check into how rebound should be checked and set.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

What happened OP? Did the bike kick up on you? check into how rebound should be checked and set.
Yea Anthony, it kicked up and scared the piss out of me. Ruined my entire country ride- I didnt want to lean on the turns after that. Mental concentration disrupted :yuk:

I am going to bring the bike in to have the rebound checked and suspension adjusted. The bike was lowered by a friend of mine about 1 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea Anthony, it kicked up and scared the piss out of me. Ruined my entire country ride- I didnt want to lean on the turns after that. Mental concentration disrupted :yuk:

I am going to bring the bike in to have the rebound checked and suspension adjusted. The bike was lowered by a friend of mine about 1 1/2 inch.
Big problemo..
Raise it back up.

This thread should be an example of why people shouldn't lower. Or od they do lower that it needs to be done properly

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
you did the best thing you could do in that situation as it came up yesterday and didn't panic.

as for the recognizing it the best thing you can do is just learn the road if you are on it frequently and memorize. Sometimes a bump will look the same as a flat spot and sneak up on you.

If you havn't read it yet, read Twist of the Wrist II

Besides that, the best thing to do like said above, familiarize yourself with the roads you're riding and don't panic if you find yourself in a "situation"

My suggestions to keep in mind if you wind up in a "situation" is always keep a steady throttle if you hit a bump or think you are about to hit one. And look where you want to go. And sometimes it's good to accelerate and lean more to get around corners you're going wide on. But take all that with a grain of salt, no "situation" is the same. Being prepared for situations and not panicking are the 2 biggest reasons for not ending up on your backside in a bad situations.

·
Pause..Clarify..Dominate
1,120 Posts
lowering your bike (unless someone F'ed it up) isn't going to dangerously effect your suspension ESPECIALLY street riding. Anyone that argues is admitting to letting Tebow pee in their butt

the only thing you can do when a bump surprises you is
1.) realize whats happening
2.) hold on
3.) don't over correct

·
Custom User Title
4,556 Posts
lowering your bike (unless someone F'ed it up) isn't going to dangerously effect your suspension ESPECIALLY street riding. Anyone that argues is admitting to letting Tebow pee in their butt
:lmao

But seriously though, a lowered bike does NOT handle as well. Cornering is greatly affected. I had a lowered R6 and when I raised it back up to stock height it was night and day difference. Turning was lazy but at stock height it was razor sharp. Like tip in and it went down and didn't have to fight it to get it laid over and stay there.

·
To Infinity.. and BEYOND!
1,681 Posts
:lmao

But seriously though, a lowered bike does NOT handle as well. Cornering is greatly affected. I had a lowered R6 and when I raised it back up to stock height it was night and day difference. Turning was lazy but at stock height it was razor sharp. Like tip in and it went down and didn't have to fight it to get it laid over and stay there.
Agreed... I had mine lowered an inch and just had it raised back up to stock a couple weeks ago, the bike just wanted to go straight.. After I got it raised & suspension adjusted, it was a completely diff. bike.. Handles beautifully now, even though I'm having tad bit trouble reaching cuz Im short, but its not bad where I lose balance. Def. Listen to these guys, they know what theyre talking about. But good job handling the situation!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Le Troll
3,338 Posts

the only thing you can do when a bump surprises you is
1.) realize whats happening
2.) hold on
3.) don't over correct
you stray from the general consensus on every post you make and generally give up bs info, why are you still here :confused:

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
you stray from the general consensus on every post you make and generally give up bs info, why are you still here :confused:
I'd have to agree with him. I bought my bike lowered 2 in. I would say lowering doesn't ruin the handling, but full height is better for sure.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
well, this is one of his tamer posts :laugh
:werd: I've seen him post some crazy stuff, but hey different strokes for different folks I guess lol

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts

:werd

Did it feel like it kicked u up and off the seat? Or did the front feel like it got so light it kinda wallowed and cavitated?

The lowered rear puts all kinda of different leverage on the rear shock!

Basically, if u look into how to check rebound, you will see people rolling the bike and grabbing the front brake to make it dive. How fast it bounces back up is your front rebound. If it comes up super fast and pogo's. You have Too much speed in there man and need to adjust that rebound. If u move the adjuster on each fork one click in either direction, it will get worse or better. U want it to rise up quickly but stop at the top without bouncing or slamming up.

Then stand the bike up. Hold onto the one clipon, put your other hand on the seat. Then step on the peg and press down to compress the front and rear together. The rear should come up just a little slower than the front.

This will make a big difference.

Also verify that the front was lowered as much as the rear was. This is very important. If not done correctly, you drastically change the pitch of the bike. Usually the front isn't as low as the back and causes even more issues.

Hopefully this will get u around better. You're gonna have a tough time finding a shop who will tune a lowered bike

·
Pause..Clarify..Dominate
1,120 Posts
not really. I figured I'd give him what he (LeRoux) was looking for, which I'm assuming was the humor he so vapidly criticized. I personally see nothing wrong with having a sense of humor.

My original retort was a little less..."tame" but I didn't see the need in completely disrespecting the OP by thread jacking this thread in an attempt to berate what I'm assuming is a 19 year old child.

·
Pause..Clarify..Dominate
1,120 Posts
Me personally? not at the moment. I'm not saying "I wouldn't" because as soon as you say never...you're knee deep in a kiddy pool covered in KY and man tears.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts