Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shift, it seems to slam into gear really hard. I can't tell if it is getting worse or I am just becoming more aware of it. Sometimes going from first to second it grinds and gets stuck in neutral, and I have to rev it back up and kick it into gear.:yuk: The shift lever doesn't feel smooth under my foot, it feels like its grinding past something as it moves, but its nothing external. Could I just need a clutch adjustment, or is maybe something else going on here? Any help would be appreciated!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
often .. it's rider error. Just not ideal shift technique. Any chance you can post vid of you riding and doing some shifting ?

yes, it's possible you need a clutch cable adjustment at the perch. If you have way too much free play in the lever, the clutch isn't disengaging enough when you pull the lever and it can result in a clunky shift. However, you should be able to upshift without the lever at all with the right technique. A slight roll off at the exact same time as the upshift then right back on the gas. SLIGHT roll off, not fully closing the gas.. like a 5% roll off just enough to take the load off the trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
often .. it's rider error. Just not ideal shift technique. Any chance you can post vid of you riding and doing some shifting ?

yes, it's possible you need a clutch cable adjustment at the perch. If you have way too much free play in the lever, the clutch isn't disengaging enough when you pull the lever and it can result in a clunky shift. However, you should be able to upshift without the lever at all with the right technique. A slight roll off at the exact same time as the upshift then right back on the gas. SLIGHT roll off, not fully closing the gas.. like a 5% roll off just enough to take the load off the trans.
When I start the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in, it lurches forward slightly. Is this a sign it isn't disengaging fully?

When I ride my friends GSXR it shifts super smooth so I don't think it is my technique. Unless you're supposed to shift a GSXR and a R6 differently? I have a GoPro, so maybe I'll break it out and get some shots of me riding this weekend.

If it is the clutch, do you just pull the slack out using that...Wheel? I guess you could call it? At the base of the shift lever.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
lurching forward in gear with the CLUTCH LEVER pulled in .. bad.
Something needs adjusted, likely the "wheel" at the hand lever on the lever perch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My thoughts exactly. Or the oil could be just crappy and poor quality. A bit of creeping is normal with wet clutch, you'll see it happen even on neutral with rear tire lifted up.
I use mobil 1 full synthetic, and it has only been in there about 3 months. It's not really creeping. Just when I drop it into first from neutral it is kind of loud and doesn't feel smooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About the clutch plates...

Could be. It's a 06 with less than 10K miles, but I've only had it the last couple thousand. I have no idea how the guy before me rode it.

I've changed the clutch plates on a dirtbike, it was as easy as taking off the side cover and taking out a few bolts and all the clutch plates slide out. Is it that easy on the r6? I haven't messed with that yet?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I use mobil 1 full synthetic, and it has only been in there about 3 months. It's not really creeping. Just when I drop it into first from neutral it is kind of loud and doesn't feel smooth.
a loud clunk when you drop it in gear is totally normal. If it is creeping forward on you, and you literally have to put the brakes on to keep it from doing so.. that's not good.

the tire rolling a bit when the bike is on a rear stand is something totally different from the bike creeping forward and moving the entire weight of the bike and rider. the oil drag alone will cause the rear wheel to rotate a bit when you start the bike on a stand, especially when the oil is cold.

If the bike is not moving forward on it's own when you put it in gear, it's just a pretty good "clunk" when you do, you have no issue.

if you want to inspect your clutch, get a manual. it outlines in detail how to pull it apart, and measure the fibers for min spec thickness (2.85mm or so) and check the metals for warpage limits. Then you need to measure the stack height and ensure it's in the range the manual states, or 1) the clutch will slip and 2) the slipper clutch won't slip properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts