Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is my "am I being an idiot?" thread :toocool:

Background:
1. Bike had shitty ebay clutch lever that wobbled
2. Clutch worked fine and did not seem to slip
3. I never put the bike in gear with clutch in while on rear stand

Current:
1. Installed new ASV brake and clutch lever
2. Clutch cable seemed excessively loose and could not fix free play using bar adjuster.
3. Began adjusting clutch cable using engine-side adjuster.
4. Cable has tension (almost feels borderline too tight now) and visibly operates when the lever is pulled

The Issue (while on rear stand):
1. When bike is in neutral, rear wheel does not spin
2. When bike is put into 1st gear AND CLUTCH IS HELD IN, rear wheel still spins :mad:
3. When rear brake is applied AND bike is in 1st gear AND clutch is held in, rear wheel stops AND bike does not stall (continues to idle)
4. When rear brake is applied AND bike is in 1st gear AND clutch is let OUT, bike stalls

QUESTION: why is the rear wheel still spinning when clutch is in? :mad:

I am used to starting a cold bike in neutral and getting slight wheel spin due to oil friction, but this is spinning quick. It doesn't stall when the wheel is stopped, so it's obviously disengaging at least partially. I never put the bike in gear when on a rear stand with the old lever, unfortunately, so I have no idea how long this "issue" (assuming it is an issue) has lasted.

I have not tried test riding it yet (it's a track-only bike), but will try and take it around the neighborhood tonight to see if it rides/shifts okay. It appears to go in and out of gear just fine.

·
wat?
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds fine. And usually the slop in the lever is caused by the bushing not being in there
Correct re the missing bushing causing the slop (it's apparently not reused for the ASV as it has no play now). It never really bothered me, only reason I changed the clutch lever is I was changing the brake side.

Appreciate the feedback. :cheers I'll go back and doublecheck that free play is within spec (I kept tightening to see if I could get it to stop spinning, so it may be overtightened) and take it for a ride then.

I assume the spinning is just caused by friction from the oil, even though the clutch plates are separated/disengaged? The last time I ran a bike in gear on a rear stand was 7 years ago on my 03 and it cut the wire for my tire warmer in half :lmao

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,234 Posts
The friction of the clutch plates and the oil is why the rear spins in gear with the clutch pulled. It is normal. There is more viscous friction in gear (clutch pulled) than there is in neutral, so it will always tend to spin more in gear with the clutch pulled than in neutral.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
This is the reason why your bike lurches forward a little when you put it in gear. When the clutch lever is pulled in, it works against the springs to spread the plates apart, but they are still close enough to have a little bit of drag and the engine still tries to move the bike forward. What happens with the bike on the stand is that there isn't any resistance on the rear wheel, so it just spins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts