Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
First time R6er
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake lever broke, so i was thinking of getting the shorty style on ebay, cause they are cheap, and have good reviews on them. I am new to riding and wondering if the shorties are not good for a beginner and if i should stick to the normal stock levers? Is it harder for a beginner? or is it more of a preference thing?

Heres the ebay ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-Brake-Cl...maha|Model:YZF+R1&hash=item20e16e83ed&vxp=mtr

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Shipping straight from Hong Kong? Those are legit.

·
First time R6er
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read some forums on here that said the ebay ones are just as good as long as you use the old O bushing for the new levers

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
You get what you pay for. Do it!!!

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
I am new to riding and wondering if the shorties are not good for a beginner and if i should stick to the normal stock levers? Is it harder for a beginner? or is it more of a preference thing?
i would say that your whole bike is not good for a beginner. i don't think the levers are gonna be the deciding factor there.

i like the stock levers; they're cheap, they're abundant and they are a perfect fit. other than that, i'd say it's probably just a preference thing.

but, if you're gonna do this, spend money for a quality part. i'd leave all the crap on ebay alone. most times, you get what you pay for. name brands are what i'd stick with.

check out sportbike track gear's website. send them an email or do a live-chat and tell them what you're looking for. they are great people...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
ive spent $250 on ASV's and spent $30 on ebay levers and they do the same fcking job. takes 5 mins to replace. go with ebay

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Go with the shorties. They're perfect. I compromised between cheap and ridiculous and bought PSR controls. Love em.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
Never had a problem with eBay ones.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Levers are for teh newbz. I run a lever-less setup now, killin it on the weight reduction department.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
yea thats exactly what i have read that everyone says! haha
and i've done both asv's and ebay on two diff years/gens (05 & 09). if you don't like the ebay, then all your out is $30, then you can drop couple hundred on brand name. if you are purely street rider, no reason to not at least try ebay

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
^^^ New and trendy. Overrated, IMO.

·
Just wadd on it.
175 Posts
Just a note about the eBay levers... many people get their panties in a bunch regarding the front brake lever because the master cylinder can be slightly compressed with cheap levers, heating the brakes up constantly and causing a lock-up. While it's not common, I guess it has happened.

Simple fix: take a file, or grinding wheel and take away some of the material that touches the master cylinder making sure it is fully extended. I also did this to the tab that controls the brake light switch so that it would come on sooner. I was finding that the light didn't come on until I applied the front brake with more than average force.

TL,DR; Grind the ebay levers down in a couple places for them to be perfect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts