Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed my clutch doesn't grab until it is almost all the way let out. I can't adjust it any more on the handlebars then what it is already adjusted. Do you all think the Cable is just stretching and i can buy a new cable to fix it? If so is the Cable a pain in the u know what to change.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Could be the cable stretching...also could be your clutch plates wearing thin

and yes, the cable is pretty easy to replace...

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you feel the clutches if they were wearing thin? I drag race a lot of fourwheelers and run a lot of rocket clutches and know that if a clutch starts wearing or slipping you can feel it with the pull but i'm just starting to learn my bike a little.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
You could always adjust your clutch cable tension by turning that little bolt thingy just up the cable from your lever... I bet that fixes everything. You might as well lube the cable while you're at it.

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry u must not have read my original post, i can't adjust it any further on my bars. Thanks for the help though

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Oh I read the OP, I just thought you meant that you were tweaking your LEVER.. not the actual cable. My bad. I've got nothing for you. :laugh

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Sorry u must not have read my original post, i can't adjust it any further on my bars. Thanks for the help though
There is a lower adjustment also. It's down near the clutch cover.
Oh I read the OP, I just thought you meant that you were tweaking your LEVER.. not the actual cable. My bad. I've got nothing for you. :laugh
"Tweaking" the lever like you were talking about is messing with the actual cable. You don't have your slack set up right at the lever and your clutch isn't working the way it should. The adjuster on the lever is just like the adjuster on the lower end. They adjust the slack in the lever and remove tension. Only way to adjust your lever is getting an aftermarket adjustable lever. Any other way is simply incorrect.

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gotcha, i'll have to check it tomorrow and see if it helps it any. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Of the bat, our clutches engage around the last 1/4 of the lever travel. Make sure there's some free play on the clutch lever. Other than that, get an adjustable lever if you need the clutch lever closer to the clip-on. I'd also lube the clutch cable.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
There is a lower adjustment also. It's down near the clutch cover.

"Tweaking" the lever like you were talking about is messing with the actual cable. You don't have your slack set up right at the lever and your clutch isn't working the way it should. The adjuster on the lever is just like the adjuster on the lower end. They adjust the slack in the lever and remove tension. Only way to adjust your lever is getting an aftermarket adjustable lever. Any other way is simply incorrect.
That's what I thought he did.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
OP, How many miles on the bike?

I have been wondering this same thing as you. My 02 R6 grabs when the clutch is let out all the way too. I bought a new cable and it's the same situation, so I assumed it was just worn out or almost worn out.. So I picked up an OEM clutch kit, and have been waiting for the clutch to go, but it hasn't.. Over 6000 miles later, it's the same as the day I bought it.. 21k miles now, and no slipping.. I do no clutch wheelies or hard drag launches.

My friend has an 08 that I borrow a lot, and his lever is exactly the same as mine. Only grabs at the very end.. His has been this way for over 10000 miles. He has 24k on his bike and it's the original clutch.. He never does clutch wheelies either.. I do notice his has heavier springs and engages less smooth than mine, but bottom line it still doesn't slip.

I think it's safe to say you should just keep riding it until it begins to slip. You have nothing to worry about.

If anyone has comments or 2 cents on this scenario, post up cause I been really curious for a long time about the clutch and how long it lasts, etc.. ( I know it varies, and can go in 500 miles if beaten hard enough, or the cable is out of adjustment.. Spare me the nonsense, and post up your experience)

·
Get'n Lucky -n- Kentucky
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah i've thought about ordering another clutch cable also. So yours didn't help either? It just recently started not grabbing at about 8500 miles or so. If anyone else has experience i would like to know as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine doesnt grab til almost out aswell and i like that. i dont have to pull the lever all the way in like some bikes. just pull about 1/4 inch or a tad more and shift let go... quicker too cause you dont have to pull the lever in to the handle bar. kinda like pull-shift-release instead of pppuuuuullllll - shift- rrreeeeaaleeassee. if that makes any sense

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Yeah i've thought about ordering another clutch cable also. So yours didn't help either? It just recently started not grabbing at about 8500 miles or so. If anyone else has experience i would like to know as well.
The new cable didn't change the pull at all. It did give me some piece of mind tho. I've put 7500 miles on the clutch so far, since I got the bike. The entire time it has been the same feel. It grabs at the end.

My pal with an 08 found the same thing. His was grabbing at the end of the throw of the cable, and his has been like that for over 15k.

Mine doesnt grab til almost out aswell and i like that. i dont have to pull the lever all the way in like some bikes. just pull about 1/4 inch or a tad more and shift let go... quicker too cause you dont have to pull the lever in to the handle bar. kinda like pull-shift-release instead of pppuuuuullllll - shift- rrreeeeaaleeassee. if that makes any sense
It totally makes sense. I like the fact that I only have to pull the lever a hair also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts