Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 01 R6 since Labor Day Weekend and was between bikes for a while. I noticed that the clutch lever is very hard to operate and after riding 30-45 minutes my hand and forearm get really tired. I didn't have this problem with my old bike. I thought maybe I was acting 'like a girl' so I tried our R1 for a frame of reference. It's REALLY spongey feeling compared to mine. We were going to switch (long story). But it turns out the R1 has pressure plates instead of springs. Someone said that the previous owner probably put on aftermarket springs but the bike was entirely stock when I got it.

Getting to the point, I'm wondering if you have ideas/thoughts on the following:
Has anyone else experienced this? Do people modify their clutch this way? If so, any tips on replacing or adjusting them?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
it could have stiffer springs in the clutch. thats a good thing though.

How far are you pulling in on your clutch? You only need to pull it about quarter of an inch and should easily be able to do so with just one or two fingers.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Also, you will get used to it. At the beginning of the season, my muscles get sore from operating the clutch lever, but I usually get used to it after a few rides.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
RedlineR6 said:
it could have stiffer springs in the clutch. thats a good thing though.
ya, people put in stiffer springs for less clutch slippage under hard acceleration.

check the engine manual

The clutch on the 6 consists of Friction Plates, Clutch Plates, Clutch Springs, and the Pressure Plate. the manual shows you how to dis-assemble and re-assemble the entire clutch.

Hey Jeffsy, that's two informative posts without any tomfoolery!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts