Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to tear into my 2003 r6 clutch. No big deal, but I noticed in the service manual they label needing yamaha bond on a bolt that goes into the clutch cover. I've never seen anyone mention this and out of all the videos I've seen, nobody has done that. My question is how important is it that I put that bond on the bolt. See picture for reference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That reference is probably telling you to put "Yamaha bond" (a gasket maker, as far as I can tell?) on all the bolts. If the clutch cover gasket travels around the inside of that bolt (and all the bolts) I don't think it would be necessary. Maybe just another defense against leaks.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Look up the product. You might find that it's a thread-locker and not a gasket-maker. Yes, it is for all bolts.

Gasket is supposed to do all the sealing, but it can be pretty "narrow" in places. If it is a gasket-maker and not a thread-locker, it could be additional assurance as Lycogala mentioned.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh for sure. I know it's a gasket maker. It's based on the "three-bond" product which forms a gasket but it cures harder than other gasket makers (like permatex). I was just curious if it was a necessity to put it on the bolts since I don't know anyone else who's done it. When removing the bolts, I'll check to see if there's any traces of the yamahabond on them. Curious if it's applied on the threads, or on the shaft section of the bolt.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Interesting. Look down the hole. If the hole opens up into the engine area, definitely meant for the threads and not just the shaft. It would also imply that the product really is just meant for that single bolt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea. I'll also make note that the clutch cover gasket 5sl-15461-00-00 has been superseded by clutch cover gasket 5sl-15461-01-00 so perhaps we used to have to use the yamahabond with the old version of gasket, until the new revision came out. But this is all speculation. I'll know more when I open it up and compare gaskets and bolts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I went ahead and got into the clutch today. So it is in fact the single bolt that requires the Yamaha bond. The reason being is all of the other bolts bolt into fully closed holes, but the one hole that this bolt goes into, isn't closed. So oil can go flow into that hole from behind and the only thing blocking the leak is the bolt itself.

I did not reapply Yamaha bond on the bolt. In fact I took a chance today by both not reapplying bond on the bolt and also reusing the old gasket because I'm too impatient to wait for the new gasket to get here. I went for a few rides and so far so good but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on everything for possible leaks.

Here's the Yamaha bond bolt:

Here's the hole it goes into. Note the arrow:

Here's the same hole but now you can see how it isn't enclosed like the other bolt holes are:

And one bonus picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thanks for the info. I try to preorder parts before I even get into it. It's also a good opportunity to order unique parts that you've wanted, but don't really need. just make sure that those other parts don't delay the entire order. (separating the non-critical parts into a separate order by a couple of days typically works)

Without a new gasket, I suspect it'll leak unfortunately. I hate using gasket maker around the covers because it's a byiayayatch to carefully clean off without damaging the contact surfaces. In that regard, greasing the mating surfaces before gasket applicatoin actually works well.

Re bolt, may be able to use a plastic washer or silicon o-ring? Absent of the gasket-maker on the end there, I'd be afraid that the oil in the threads would contribute to the bolt backing out under engine vibration. Torque on the overwhelming majority of fasteners is shockingly low.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah my mentality was : I have to wait for the gasket to arrive in a few days, and don't have anything else on the go so I may as well experiment with the old gasket and a)see if it holds up and b)see if it actually is as big of a pain in the @$$ to get the clutch cover on like others have mentioned (thankfully it wasn't).

Worst case scenario is it leaks and I reopen it and apply the new gasket. Best case scenario is it holds up and I have a spare gasket for the future lol.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,318 Posts
They definitely meant only the threads of the single bolt indicated. As to why.. oil must have made its way into the threads.

Reactions: Shawn855
1 - 11 of 11 Posts