Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just changed my oil about a week ago and went with Rotella synthetic for the first time...I did oil and filter and put in about 3qts oil. After that oil change my clutch is feelin a bit funny. It seems a lot softer than it was. Like when i let it out to engage, it just seems really soft. I took it high in the rpms, around 12K, to see if it would slip but it didnt. And this morning when i got on her to go to work, i was letting her warm up like usual and when the temp kicked on to 104 i went ahead to put it into first and instead of droppin into gear it didnt do anything. I was at a dead stop and my neutral light went off but there wasnt any kind of sign, like the usual slight jerk, to say it was in gear. I didnt let the clutch out to see if it was actually in gear though just in case it was going to grind gears...Any thoughts?

·
Registered
541 Posts
how many miles on her? and how many miles on the clutch? Synthetic is VERY slippery and if the clutch is wearing out as it is, you will notice a large slump in performance.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
It's funny that you say that about the Rotella because I have been running that stuff for about a year and a half now, and I haven't had any thing like that happen.
So what you're saying though is that you're bike went into gear super smooth and you think it may be a bad thing?
Since I've been using the Rotella, I CAN say that my bike has been a little less "clunky" when it comes to shifting, but not so much that it made me worry.
Did you take the bike out for a ride at all, or just put it away after all of this.
Seems weird enough to make a thread, but it doesn't sound like anythings wrong with it. (yet)

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now ive got about 12.5 on her with the stock clutch.

I used to do clutch up's but have stopped cause i would much rather hit the curves anyway.

I've heard good stuff about rotella and it could be that i'm just not used to it compared to the normal yamalube. I can definitely hear it go into gear when im out ridin (with the exception of shifting to first this morning) but it just feels a little "off" or "mushy" when i engage the clutch.

I'm still ridin it...I've got an appointment for service on satruday cause i need to go in for a tuneup anyway. I havnt had her to a shop since the 600 mile mark. Just do the normal manintenance myself but need to get a few other things done and since someone stole my stand that makes it a bit hard to do at an apartment.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You mean that stuff made it so when you put it into first, you don't get a little jump? Wow, must be smooth. I didn't know it'd make that much of a difference. I hear so many different opinions as to weather or not to use synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, this morning it didnt jump at all. It normall does though...but shifting is a lot smoother. Its just how smooth the clutch is when it engages, not sure if its supposed to be that smooth haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts