Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

After I got a flat tire and didn't ride for 3 weeks, My clutch hand gets really tired and sore easily now. Even after a few days off it feels better but then my hand starts to get sore again near the end of the rides.

Not sure why this is happening. I also had that whole clutch cable freeplay thread about how I adjusted the clutch freeplay from the right engine clutch case side wrong, but I'm pretty sure I adjusted it back correctly. Could I have done something wrong to the clutch cable and made the clutch lever stiffer without me knowing now?

Sorry if this thread sounds stupid....lol

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
53 Posts
idk man my roommate had a problem with his hand but it was throttle hand i believe and he had broken that hand twice. Are you using anything different like gloves and such? I didnt ride for about a year and a half after getting rid of my GSXR and then when i got my R6 all my shit was sore. It could just be that your muscles in your hand werent used like that and when u started riding again u started working them out kinda like when u stop going to the gym for a while and then hit it back up? i honestly dont know i just thought id at least try to help lol

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
When is the last time you cleaned/lubed the clutch cable? I notice it's significantly easier to pull after cleaning and lubricating the cable and clutch lever pivot.

You could also try loosening where the perch clamps to the clip-on and rotating it and see if you can find a more comfortable position.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the bike at the end of June, so not sure when the last time it was lubricated. The angle is fine though. Hopefully it's not too stiff because I did something wrong with the clutch cable adjustements on the right engine side awhile back. It disengages and engages fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Relax. Ease off the death grip on the bars. Squeeze the tank with your knees more. Do the chicken wing dance once in awhile to remind yourself to loosen up.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Relax. Ease off the death grip on the bars. Squeeze the tank with your knees more. Do the chicken wing dance once in awhile to remind yourself to loosen up.
Yep I actually do do that chicken wing thing to remind me. I don't have death grips on the clip ons.

Not sure if I messed up something in the clutch cable adjustments at the right engine side, or if my left hand is just not use to it.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yep I actually do do that chicken wing thing to remind me. I don't have death grips on the clip ons.

Not sure if I messed up something in the clutch cable adjustments at the right engine side, or if my left hand is just not use to it.
If it's engaging smoothly and not slipping or dragging, it's fine. Those are the only ways that would mess it up, and it wouldn't really effect how hard you have to squeeze the lever. I mean, you could completely loosen the cable, and that would be much easier, but you've never be able to disengage the clutch if that were the case.

I'm sure it's just an issue of ergonomics or hand strength.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
If it's engaging smoothly and not slipping or dragging, it's fine. Those are the only ways that would mess it up, and it wouldn't really effect how hard you have to squeeze the lever. I mean, you could completely loosen the cable, and that would be much easier, but you've never be able to disengage the clutch if that were the case.

I'm sure it's just an issue of ergonomics or hand strength.
Lack thereof? :hehe

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hahaha.....I knew I was going to get made fun of.

Fallis - I know what a slipping clutch would be like, but what would a draggin clutch be like?

Also, I've only been riding for maybe a month and a half now, with 3 weeks off not riding due to nail in tire, so that could also be a factor as well. I always keep my arms bent and try to keep them loose while squeezing the gas tank.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just need to work that hand more.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Is your clutch & brake lever to high? I find few people actually ever think of doing this when they pick up their bike.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the levers are angled fine.

But what did Fallis mean when he said "dragging" clutch. Never heard that term before.

Yea, Dave Moss is the man. He knows so much, it's mind blowing.

·
Yeah Science!
7,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
FastForward Performance
961 Posts
A dragging clutch shows several symptoms...One is the bike is hard to shift up or down. Another is the bike wants to "creep" at a stop even though the lever is disengaged.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts