Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm a little confused.

I changed my clutch lever and now when the bike is in gear and a pull in the clutch, is stays in gear (doesn't roll). I haven't started the bike up yet so this is all with no power (which I don't think should make a difference) When I pull the lever the cord moves, and the lever has a lot of tension.

Any ideas? Te clutch worked fine before I changed levers.
Tried adjusting cable free play, and I can see the plates move through the oil filler hole.
oil at correct level. But hasn't been started since change (late nov/early dec)
Thanks,

edit: The bike won't roll... once i put it into gear the tire moves fasssst! I can switch through with or without clutch. I can start it when I pull in the clutch. And If i pull in the clutch, i can push it... but it takes A LOT of effort and moves very little.... Not like when in n. Should I be tightening or loosening the clutch in this situation?
PD

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how do i do this?

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
right near the clutch lever is the "circle" looking cable adjuster, spin it in or out to adjust the cable...

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I replaced mine I overtightened the nut that holds the lever in place. As a result the lever would not close all the way after shifting. I adjusted it and all was well.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right near the clutch lever is the "circle" looking cable adjuster, spin it in or out to adjust the cable...
tried this and down by the clutch. Should i be making it tighter or looser in this situation? I'm assuming tighter.
When I replaced mine I overtightened the nut that holds the lever in place. As a result the lever would not close all the way after shifting. I adjusted it and all was well.
hmmm. I'll try this.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no dice.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I switched from a vortex clutch lever..... If that matters

·
I pee in the shower.
696 Posts
Hey man..
Try greasing up the clutch more, and the area that the bolt goes through on the clutch. And you want to pull out the cable adjuster. (I'm not sure what it's called) It's a PITA to screw in and out, but unscrew it. It makes the cable tighter. It just sounds like your lever isn't pulling it all the way in.
So: unscrew the adjuster thing so you can see more thread on it.
I just got done doing this on my bike.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ haven't greased it as I have no grease here. Tried the cable adjuster... The clutch becomes tight but doesn't engage it.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i can see the plates move when I pull the clutch (took off filler cap)

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
hold the front brake, and start the bike in neutral. pull the clutch in, and click it into gear. mine had that same feeling as you are describing. as soon as i clicked it in gear with the wheel on the ground, it was as if the clutch plates broke free of the sticktion(is that wa word?) they had. worked perfect ever since. if you have a rear stand and/or someone to help, that will be better. if someone else is there, you hold the rear brake down and let them click it into gear when you tell them to(this way you can keep a foot on solid ground. if you trust your rear stand, you can accomplish the same thing with the bike on the stand so you dont have to balance it.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ will try this tonight! thanks man

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update....
I tried.... The bike won't roll... once i put it into gear the tire moves fasssst! I can switch through with or without clutch. I can start it when I pull in the clutch. And If i pull in the clutch, i can push it... but it takes A LOT of effort and moves very little.... Not like when in n. Should I be tightening or loosening the clutch in this situation?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
ok...on the little adjusters down by the water pump, adjust them so the tube becomes longer. that will make the plates separate more when you pull the clutch

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
okay. I just let it get warmer. When it's off and pull clutch no roll. Buttt once it's turned on and pull clutch in it can roll. I can turn it on with the clutch in, but not when no pulled in (when in gear). Does it seem normal? The free play only is less then a penny. Sound normal? Adjusted correctly? I'll get it adjusted by the dealer ship once the season starts... But I need to turn it on for installing headlight and stuff, so don't wanna damage it.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
dont go to the dealer. i am sure you can find a friend or riding buddy who can adjust it for you and not ruin anything. as i said, at first, the clutch will seem sticky when off(or at least mine did), but will go to normal quick. for the clutch adjustment, have you only been dealing with the perch adjuster, or the one on the side of the motor? i work with the one on the side of the motor first to make sure it fully releases, then use the one at the perch to adjust it to where i like.

and as for it not starting in gear without the clutch, thats normal. here is what should happen....

IN GEAR:

if the kickstand is down, it will not start or run. if the kickstand is up, it will only attempt to start if the clutch is pulled.

IN NEUTRAL:

kickstand can be up or down, and the clutch can be pulled or released and it will still attempt to start.

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how do I know that it's fully released? I've been using both.

Yeah okay, all that sounds like how it's working, and what I thought

1 - 20 of 27 Posts