Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install my clutch on my 04 R6 tonight...

Can't find a write up. I've found one on here but the pics don't work. Anyone know of any other ones? I've searched on google and can't find anything. Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Pay attention to where the arm on the clutch cover is. The tricky part is putting the cover back on. There is a rod with teeth that has to match up with the clutch cover right. You will have to move the arm to get the teeth lined up properly otherwise your clutch won't be operating properly and your cables slack will get messed up(either too much or too little/none).

Let me look it up in the service manual and I'll tell you what page to find the info on.

Alright it's on 5-53(p.278), it tells ya how to line it up. If you don't have the manual already download it here.http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-maintenance-technical/39254-r6-service-maintenance-repair-manual.html

·
sha shaaa...!
2,383 Posts
This is a good question. i was wondering about doin the same thing on my bike

i just past the 10k mark on my bike...whadaya guys think as far as replacement\wear?

·
Registered
166 Posts

i just past the 10k mark on my bike...whadaya guys think as far as replacement\wear?
All depends on your riding style... (ie. clutch wheelies, non rev-match downshifts, city driving etc.) Things like that all have a negative effect on clutch life. No different than a car really. You can get well over 100,000 miles or just a few thousand depending on type of usage. As long as your not experiencing any slipping issues I wouldn't worry about it until that time comes.

·
sha shaaa...!
2,383 Posts
All depends on your riding style... (ie. clutch wheelies, non rev-match downshifts, city driving etc.) Things like that all have a negative effect on clutch life. No different than a car really. You can get well over 100,000 miles or just a few thousand depending on type of usage. As long as your not experiencing any slipping issues I wouldn't worry about it until that time comes.
okkk....So dont worry bout it till it happens? i wonder if there is a recommended number/mileage from yamaha. a recommendation per se

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will have to move the arm to get the teeth lined up properly otherwise your clutch won't be operating properly and your cables slack will get messed up(either too much or too little/none).
That sounds like my problem now, like you said in my other thread. lol
Im gonna do the clutch tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Seems pretty easy. Thanks for the manual.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108479

·
Will work for track time
19,494 Posts

24000 miles with no issues here. I dont trash my bike though. It has seen almost 10 trackdays though...

That sounds like my problem now, like you said in my other thread. lol
Im gonna do the clutch tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Seems pretty easy. Thanks for the manual.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108479
Sounds like a burnt clutch. Or not adjusted properly.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Yea I think the cover wasn't installed right and they didn't line the arm back up the way it was supposed to if the clutch cable slack is correct. A burnt clutch should slip. That's what mine was doing. I just now replaced the stock clutch after 40,000 miles. That clutch saw everything a couple trackdays, tons of burnouts, and a lot of clutch wheelies.

Keep us posted like redwood said.

·
Registered
166 Posts
okkk....So dont worry bout it till it happens? i wonder if there is a recommended number/mileage from yamaha. a recommendation per se
Only clutch lever free play is what should be periodically checked. So, yeah... unless your experiencing driveability issues likely due to worn clutch discs, don't worry about it.

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced it today. I feel like an idiot for making this thread after doing it and realizing how easy it was lol. My old disc look shot. The cover was a pain in the ass to put on. Thats what took the most time. I was pissed trying to put that on lol. I only took like 2 pics cuz all I had was my cell phone and my hands were covered in oil. Will upload em in a lil bit.

·
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup. Just having a little problem with my hid's flickering. But not turning all the way on/off. Installed a relay harness and the same problem. I think it's the bulbs. Gonna send em back. Other then that just need a rear tire and i'll be ready for the season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts