Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my clutch plates in my 2011 r6 but now it appears my clutch has given out. installation went well, the clutch worked as intended, and one day out riding on the high way, I noticed I lost all disengagement in the clutch. I limped the bike home using my quick shifter, and clutchless downshifting. After opening the clutch cover and seeing that everything seems to be in order I still have no feeling or disengagement in the clutch. If anybody knows how to fix this please help! I saw a link to a YouTube video that shows pretty well what is happing to my r6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but it seems like the lever is in the freeplay zone all the way through, so to speak. Even with the spring and the cable hooked up I can still move the clutch arm easily with a finger. Thank you for the help in advance

·
Registered
110 Posts
I tried that but it seems like the lever is in the freeplay zone all the way through, so to speak. Even with the spring and the cable hooked up I can still move the clutch arm easily with a finger. Thank you for the help in advance
Does your clutch cover move when you manipulate that clutch arm?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes it does, the previous owner also installed a yoyodyne slipper clutch Incase that makes any difference
Shouldn't be an issue with the slipper clutch. I would make 100% sure your push rod is positioned properly and that your clutch arm is properly aligned with the marks on the clutch cover. Outside of that, there shouldn't be an issue because you already had it working once. How far did you go into your bike? Did you take the basket out or just replace the plates?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't be an issue with the slipper clutch. I would make 100% sure your push rod is positioned properly and that your clutch arm is properly aligned with the marks on the clutch cover. Outside of that, there shouldn't be an issue because you already had it working once. How far did you go into your bike? Did you take the basket out or just replace the plates?
I just readjusted the arm and I now have normal free play, but past that the clutch is very hard and still does not disengage the rear wheel. When I replaced the clutch I only replaced the plates in the basket

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just readjusted the arm and I now have normal free play, but past that the clutch is very hard and still does not disengage the rear wheel. When I replaced the clutch I only replaced the plates in the basket
And that's at the lever or at the clutch arm? If you're absolutely certain that you have the actual clutch components installed and adjusted properly (double check those alignment marks on the clutch cover/arm), follow your clutch cable up and make sure it's still mounted properly and not melted on the header.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
you dont have the cover on correctly... Im 150% sure of this. I dont care how good of a "tech" you are nobody gets the cover engagement correct the first time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you dont have the cover on correctly... Im 150% sure of this. I dont care how good of a "tech" you are nobody gets the cover engagement correct the first time.
You think this is the case if it was working once already?

A video would be helpful. Is the arm slack or tight? In the video, the guy is pulling on the arm with no resistance, but it sounds like yours won't move.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You think this is the case if it was working once already?

A video would be helpful. Is the arm slack or tight? In the video, the guy is pulling on the arm with no resistance, but it sounds like yours won't move.
so after being defeated, and trying multiple times to reinstall the clutch arm correctly it still has the same issue. I used the video you sent me as reference, and the issue I am having now is that the clutch arm won't move now as you said, I have "freeplay" in the lever but past that it is stiff as a rock. When the bike is on a rear stand putting it into gear just makes it stall, and I can not enter the disengagement point of the clutch with the lever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The funny thing is me and my friend did it luckily in about 10 minutes the first time, everything seemed to be installed correctly. I rode the bike around my neighborhood for about 2 days to make sure everything was fine. One day I took it out on the highway and the oil light came on, and soon following within a half mile my clutch gave out, and I limped it home with no clutch. I recently bought my r6 about 3ish months ago so I am new to this motorcycle. I have a 2018 mt07 which I abuse and work on lol. I am sure it has to be the way I am installing the clutch cover any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
so after being defeated, and trying multiple times to reinstall the clutch arm correctly it still has the same issue. I used the video you sent me as reference, and the issue I am having now is that the clutch arm won't move now as you said, I have "freeplay" in the lever but past that it is stiff as a rock. When the bike is on a rear stand putting it into gear just makes it stall, and I can not enter the disengagement point of the clutch with the lever.
Does it move when you have the cover off the bike??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The clutch arm moves freely when the case is removed from the motor, I tried to reinstall, the cover again this morning to no success

·
Registered
110 Posts
The clutch arm moves freely when the case is removed from the motor, I tried to reinstall, the cover again this morning to no success
If you're confident that the worm gear on the clutch cover is properly meshed with the clutch rod (the one that sticks out of the center of the basket) then it would really have to be something with the clutch plates/rod/basket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recently went into the clutch basket, realized there is a notch in the threaded stem in the middle of the basket not sure if this is damaged or supposed to be like this, the bearings in my clutch basket seem to have fallen out of place, now I am here trying to reassemble the clutch any way I am supposed to do this? Sorry if I am explaining this poorly

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently went into the clutch basket, realized there is a notch in the threaded stem in the middle of the basket not sure if this is damaged or supposed to be like this, the bearings in my clutch basket seem to have fallen out of place, now I am here trying to reassemble the clutch any way I am supposed to do this? Sorry if I am explaining this poorly
The notches in that stem are supposed to mesh with the worm gear in your clutch cover

1 - 20 of 26 Posts