Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, it's not a worm gear. There is a gear on the inside of the clutch cover that rotates when you twist that little clutch arm, aka when you pull the clutch. The spur gear meshes with the rack gear (the grooves on that rod that comes out of the center of the clutch basket) and pulls the clutch. I combined two pictures of the clutch arm and the clutch rod.

It should be a series of notches, so if it's a single notch post a picture. Is your oil light still on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Sorry, it's not a worm gear. There is a gear on the inside of the clutch cover that rotates when you twist that little clutch arm, aka when you pull the clutch. The spur gear meshes with the rack gear (the grooves on that rod that comes out of the center of the clutch basket) and pulls the clutch. I combined two pictures of the clutch arm and the clutch rod.

View attachment 375810

It should be a series of notches, so if it's a single notch post a picture. Is your oil light still on?
I am familiar with the gear inside the clutch cover and the I guess you could call it the "pull gear" the thing with the notches, but how does the notch on the stem inside the clutch boss mesh with? I'm a little confused now lol

This here is the notchI am referring to ^

This is the "gear" you are referring to (just holding it inside the clutch pressure plate). Is this supposed to mesh with that notched stem that is inside my clutch boss?

edit: my oil light only comes on after the bike runs for a minute or two, usually when the temp gets around 120f-140ish, my assumption is that I should top it off a little more so the oil sensor stays happy when the oil begins to run through the motor. Still strange to me that the oil light came on and my clutch magically left along with it on the highway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am familiar with the gear inside the clutch cover and the I guess you could call it the "pull gear" the thing with the notches, but how does the notch on the stem inside the clutch boss mesh with? I'm a little confused now lol

This here is the notchI am referring to ^

This is the "gear" you are referring to (just holding it inside the clutch pressure plate). Is this supposed to mesh with that notched stem that is inside my clutch boss?

edit: my oil light only comes on after the bike runs for a minute or two, usually when the temp gets around 120f-140ish, my assumption is that I should top it off a little more so the oil sensor stays happy when the oil begins to run through the motor. Still strange to me that the oil light came on and my clutch magically left along with it on the highway.

Ah, didn't think you had the clutch apart. That notch is for a stake nut, 2C0-16377-00-00

That's some interesting wear on those posts. Also make sure you're lining up the pressure plate and clutch boss properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ah, didn't think you had the clutch apart. That notch is for a stake nut, 2C0-16377-00-00

That's some interesting wear on those posts. Also make sure you're lining up the pressure plate and clutch boss properly.
I noticed the wear on the posts once I took the clutch apart, can't remember if that was like that the first time I replaced took it apart and replaced the plates. the previous owner installed a yoyodyne slipper clutch, not too sure how good they are. As of right now this thing is a headache, had to lay the bike sideways and lay the bearings back in the channels, at the moment I have it apart with the plates in the basket (lack of better place for them, yes they are placed in order I hope). I was thinking about getting a verneer caliper (the precise measuring stick thing I used in science class) and measure the stack height of the plates though I can't see how that would be causing the issue. I still need to tighten the nut to the clutch boss and reinstall the inside clutch cover. could it even be that the cable is worn out and stretched? I've heard that those don't tend to fail unless under catastrophic occurrences.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd rule out the clutch cable because you said it had no resistance at first, and then it was totally stiff past the freeplay zone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well to report back and solve this issue I had for anybody who may face this issue in the future here is what fixed my problem.

The nut that holds together the inner clutch basket was loose, and had let the bearings in my slipper clutch fall to the bottom of the basket. Given that the clutch was "in slip" so to speak, I had no positive feedback at the lever or the arm. all I had to do was sit everything in place and tighten down to spec, replace the plates in order and reassemble the clutch as normal. A HUGE pain in the ass but the bike runs well now still have some other issues to sort out :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts