Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 03 r6 just have a new clutch cable on. I have adjusted it but getting crap feel in the handle. Think its just the cheap lever. Currently when the bike is off i can shift between neutral, 1st and 2nd. When i start the bike and i shift into 1st it jumps and dies like the clutch isnt engaged. I have tried 4-5 different adjustments i think its at point of being over tight because the return arm on the engine side doesn’t return all the way back.... what am i missing?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The manual has routing diagrams for the cables and wires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where the bottom of the clutch cable attaches to the arm of the cover plate. There is a C clip that holds the clutch arm. I would pull it off and and check for the correct place and adjustment. I have had the clutch replaced, thought I was good and pulled the lever to have no feel. But I believe when they put the clutch plate cover back on the "gear" was placed into the arm of the cover plate by 1 or 2 teeth wrong. It is VERY easy to do. It is VERY easy to fix with a pair of C clip pliers. When the clutch is pulled in, the system sees lever pulled, not the clutch has been engaged, then you start and it lurches. Either take it back and have them adjust it or do it yourself. I am not saying this is the exact problem. But from your description this is what I have encountered on my R6 race bike and friends bikes and got it fixed in 5 minutes or less. Here is a basic video on youtube of how to adjust that arm on the gear, you can look for other videos. good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the reply @John Freisen and i think that might have something to do with it as the north mark is to the right but my dad thinks the clutch is on the way out as well from plate wear and offered to pay half the cost if i just got a new clutch from a shop because he wants a warranty and me riding safe..... so i cant pass up that offer, once the shop diagnostic is done ill let you know for sure if that was it or not

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thx for the reply @John Freisen and i think that might have something to do with it as the north mark is to the right but my dad thinks the clutch is on the way out as well from plate wear and offered to pay half the cost if i just got a new clutch from a shop because he wants a warranty and me riding safe..... so i cant pass up that offer, once the shop diagnostic is done ill let you know for sure if that was it or not
It is very possible the clutch is gone. My apology, I read new cable and for some reason thought they put a new clutch. My bad, but start with replacing the clutch. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts