Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha YZF R6S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I guarantee they are not tight enough if you stopped when the clutch started turning in nuetral. They will back out and do far more damage than a $20 torque wrench! You need to take the cover back off and torque them down. The specified torque is 5.8 lb-ft. That’s about 2 fingers tight on a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. And they should be tightened in stages in a crisscross pattern. I still say go to AutoZone and borrow 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. Yeah, you have to put money down on a card, but they give it back when you return the tool.

how much damage was done to the threads on the sprocket nut? All of this may be pointless if the sprocket threads are messed up and you can’t get the sprocket nut to tighten (oh, and that’ll need blue locktite)

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha YZF R6S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I guarantee they are not tight enough if you stopped when the clutch started turning in nuetral. They will back out and do far more damage than a $20 torque wrench! You need to take the cover back off and torque them down. The specified torque is 5.8 lb-ft. That’s about 2 fingers tight on a 1/4 inch drive ratchet. And they should be tightened in stages in a crisscross pattern. I still say go to AutoZone and borrow 1/4 inch drive torque wrench. Yeah, you have to put money down on a card, but they give it back when you return the tool.

how much damage was done to the threads on the sprocket nut? All of this may be pointless if the sprocket threads are messed up and you can’t get the sprocket nut to tighten (oh, and that’ll need blue locktite)

this is the piece that moves when i tighten it. your saying this isnt supposed to rotate when its in gear? i put it in 1st gear and it still spins. its hard to spin it but i mean it still turns if i apply pressure. that always spins tho so should i hold it by hand until the torque wrench clicks?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
You need to connect the sprocket and chain to the rear wheel. When that turns, the sprocket turns. With the chain attached to the rear wheel and the rear wheel on the ground, it will keep the clutch from spinning.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
And BTW, those threads on your output shaft look bad. I don’t think you’ll be able to get the sprocket nut to tighten up. If not, you are going to be in for making a really expensive decision, or jury rigging it in a way I won’t advise on.

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha YZF R6S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And BTW, those threads on your output shaft look bad. I don’t think you’ll be able to get the sprocket nut to tighten up. If not, you are going to be in for making a really expensive decision, or jury rigging it in a way I won’t advise on.
mannnn :(( what if i try to slowly rethread them by forcing the nut in the right way.

i can also weld. maybe i can just tac the corners so it’ll hold. so whenever i swap it out, i can just sand the tacs off

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude, you might be in over your head!
You can download the manual here:

Once again, you need the 03-04 manual.
Sadly those links to the Service Manuals no longer work
And I was so hoping to find a service manual for the 03-04

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Sadly those links to the Service Manuals no longer work
And I was so hoping to find a service manual for the 03-04
They are in the R6-forum Facebook group page under the files tab. And on the “R6 Gen Two (03-05, and 06-09 R6S)” Facebook group page

21 - 27 of 27 Posts