Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Blue05R6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Hello everyone in the forum. I have a 2005 Yamaha R6 with a little over 100k miles on it. Awhile back I developed a small leak which seemed to be coming from the clutch cover. I made an assumption that maybe my gasket gave out so I decided to replace and since I was going to open it up thought I would replace the clutch itself as well. I decided to go with an upgrade and get a carbon fiber version from Barnett. This is my first time working on the clutch and I have learned a lot. However, my clutch no longer seems to be functioning properly and I am just looking for some wisdom. I soaked the friction plates and put everything back together, which I have done multiple times at this point. But now it seems like the push rod is activated however, it just seems like the push rod just moves in and out and isn’t actually pushing against the pressure plate to release the plates from spinning everything. Last night putting the original clutch back in I couldn’t even get the clutch to spin with the spring screws just started. At this point I feel like there must be something I am missing while putting everything back together and my novice ness is preventing me from seeing the issue. The other problem is that when everything is reconnected my clutch cable will not return to being ready to be engaged, it’s just limp and won’t return, which I am kind of assuming that the lack of the pressure plate to help the spring on the clutch cover pull the cable back to ready mode. Anyway, if anybody has any thoughts it would be great to figure this out.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Automotive lighting Sports equipment Automotive tire Motorcycle accessories Automotive wheel system

Never had to do a clutch on a motorcycle before so won't be much help with actual detail. But I vaguely recall reading about the little spring-loaded arm at the bottom there... something about having to set it right during assembly.

·
Blue05R6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I have definitely played around with that and set that back properly but it just seems like it doesn’t have enough oomph to pull the clutch cable back to position, which could be the problem with the cable which would be inexpensive to just replace, my major issue is the cable pull that is not disengaging the clutch to be able to function and move through gears

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ya I have definitely played around with that and set that back properly but it just seems like it doesn’t have enough oomph to pull the clutch cable back to position, which could be the problem with the cable which would be inexpensive to just replace, my major issue is the cable pull that is not disengaging the clutch to be able to function and move through gears
You can measure the cable. The min and max length are in the service manual. No need to just swap it out without checking it first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts