Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Keeping it simple I've just fried my clutch

What would you Brand plates would you recommend?

would you bother with a stm slipper replacement?

edit: This a superstock Race Bike

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I've played with different brands of plates and I always end up back with OE plates and springs with the slipper clutch spring mod. They wear really well and seem to be the smoothest. Unless you're drag racing or something, heavy springs are a pain.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Oem 100%

Installing the STM will make you illegal for the SS class.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
yup, oem are good plates, and heavy springs are no fun, but i don't think he has the slipper clutch mod as an option. From what i can tell (he didn't post what year bike he has). .. he has a 2nd gen r6 (hard to tell from photo but that is what it looks like).
slipper and amount of it, often comes down to personal preference. I come from a dirt background, and like lots of motor braking. some love a more free-wheel effect with less motor braking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an old photo currently Racing a 09 R6 in West Aus

Quick church of the rule book and no Stm's allowed

OEM it is then.. What's the slipper spring Mod?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
It's an old photo currently Racing a 09 R6 in West Aus

Quick church of the rule book and no Stm's allowed

OEM it is then.. What's the slipper spring Mod?
sweet, the b&w gives the pic a retro look .
I am betting this has been discussed before, check for some older threads..
if you look at the exploded view of the 3rd gen clutch, there are three "Y" springs stacked on top of each other that regulate the slip as it ramps. Lessening the force (less spring pressure) lets the clutch slip a bunch more. So, this can be done in any degree you feel you like. From all 3 springs (stock) to cutting the fingers off 2 of the "Y" springs and only having 1 (lots of slip).. the springs are only about $10 per, so if you cut em and wanna go back some, it's not a big deal.
Some cut 6mm off the middle spring fingers, then 12mm off the top spring.
I run 2 full, and 12mm off the top one.
Keep in mind you should run the remnants of the springs (basically a washer at that point) so the washers push the bottom spring all the way down. The clutch hub nut has a collar on it that goes inside the "Y" springs, this is why you need to keep all 3 parts even if the fingers of the "Y" are cut off..
Keep in mind you can ALSO affect clutch slip by using a thinner clutch plates, or reducing clutch spring pressure (softer springs but these are YEC kit parts/$$$) .

just some fyi for those doin this:
BE CAREFUL to ensure the washer collar is inside the springs before you tighten it or it will smash the springs..
be careful too, that you stack them properly as each spring has a locating tab. these have to alternate and go into a groove of the clutch hub. Those tabs are easily broken off if the install is done wrong. There is a recent thread where a guy (who i had a couple dozen emails back and forth helping out :) ) had a new clutch, all in spec, assembled correctly.. but.. one of these little locating tabs had broke off, floated around, and was wedged in a spot that didn't allow the clutch pack to engage properly and it would slip even at mid rpms ..
be sure to peen the lock nut onto the shaft so it won't back off after it's torqued down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet, the b&w gives the pic a retro look .
I am betting this has been discussed before, check for some older threads..
if you look at the exploded view of the 3rd gen clutch, there are three "Y" springs stacked on top of each other that regulate the slip as it ramps. Lessening the force (less spring pressure) lets the clutch slip a bunch more. So, this can be done in any degree you feel you like. From all 3 springs (stock) to cutting the fingers off 2 of the "Y" springs and only having 1 (lots of slip).. the springs are only about $10 per, so if you cut em and wanna go back some, it's not a big deal.
Some cut 6mm off the middle spring fingers, then 12mm off the top spring.
I run 2 full, and 12mm off the top one.
Keep in mind you should run the remnants of the springs (basically a washer at that point) so the washers push the bottom spring all the way down. The clutch hub nut has a collar on it that goes inside the "Y" springs, this is why you need to keep all 3 parts even if the fingers of the "Y" are cut off..
Keep in mind you can ALSO affect clutch slip by using a thinner clutch plates, or reducing clutch spring pressure (softer springs but these are YEC kit parts/$$$) .

just some fyi for those doin this:
BE CAREFUL to ensure the washer collar is inside the springs before you tighten it or it will smash the springs..
be careful too, that you stack them properly as each spring has a locating tab. these have to alternate and go into a groove of the clutch hub. Those tabs are easily broken off if the install is done wrong. There is a recent thread where a guy (who i had a couple dozen emails back and forth helping out :) ) had a new clutch, all in spec, assembled correctly.. but.. one of these little locating tabs had broke off, floated around, and was wedged in a spot that didn't allow the clutch pack to engage properly and it would slip even at mid rpms ..
be sure to peen the lock nut onto the shaft so it won't back off after it's torqued down.
Cheers Mate appreciated ..

i might save it till off season as to not **** up this one
with my kack handedness :lol: but will give it a go..

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
You should ask Spies what he recommends for clutches. :laugh

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
You should ask Spies what he recommends for clutches. :laugh
for sure, as of late.. if that guy didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Cheers Mate appreciated ..

i might save it till off season as to not **** up this one
with my kack handedness :lol: but will give it a go..
send your email to [email protected] and i can email you the PDF of the yamaha YEC kit manual for an 09-10. has some good info in there even on how the clutch spring options work, torque settings for bolts, etc. it's a pretty big file.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts